Best Butternut Squash Recipes

(25 Posts)
frenchfancy Tue 11-Oct-16 16:59:21

I've just harvested our butternuts, and I've got 20 monsters to last me through the winter.

Tonight we are having Butternut macaroni cheese and I've just made Butternut and Harissa Houmous with the rest of the roasted squash (which is completely delicious by the way)

Would love to hear your favourites.

justabigdisco Tue 11-Oct-16 17:00:03

No suggestions I'm afraid but watching!

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Tue 11-Oct-16 17:02:10

Roast butternut squash, blue cheese, cooked gnocchi and some wilted spinach.

Mix, bake.

SheldonsSpot Tue 11-Oct-16 17:04:11

Jamie Oliver's squash, chickpea and spinach curry. Sometimes when I make it I leave out the chili and add a tin of coconut milk.

INeedNewShoes Tue 11-Oct-16 17:06:48

Butternut squash risotto (roast the squash and add it at the end).

Racheyg Tue 11-Oct-16 17:07:37

Black bean and butternut squash tacos it's a naturally Ella recipe and very yummy

princessconsuelabannahammock Tue 11-Oct-16 17:08:09

Butternut squash and chorizo soup - Jamie Oliver recipe. Or bns and peanut soup - high fw recipe.

Love bns in soup.

Also I cut in half and bake. Scoop out middle and fill with rice cooked in lamb stock mixed with lamb mince fried off with ras el hanout (sp). Fill the skins and bake for 10 mins. There is always some that won't fit in the skin and that's nice the next day as a sort of morrocan rice dish. Yum

FlashingLights Tue 11-Oct-16 17:09:16

Butternut Squash, caramelised onions, feta & chilli fritatta
Not really an exact recipe but; slice and steam squash. Then caramelise onions in a large frying pan, then add layered squash with seasoning to taste between layers. Pour over whisked eggs (I use 8-10 depending on size) and sprinkle over feta and chilli flakes. Cook on low-medium in the frying pan for about 8mins then finish the top side under the grill. Delicious!! Also very good cold in packed lunches.

frenchfancy Tue 11-Oct-16 17:35:34

Brilliant - keep them coming.

I think I'll try Chardonnay's Gnocchi next.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Tue 11-Oct-16 17:47:52

Hope you like it.

AtleastitsnotMonday Tue 11-Oct-16 19:07:39

BNS toad in the hole
BNS falafel
I love butternut squash, I'll be back with more recipes.

Peppapogstillonaloop Tue 11-Oct-16 19:11:58

There was an easy ottokenght in the guardian a couple of weeks ago, bns and goats cheese tart suoerceasy and super yum!

Alicekeach Tue 11-Oct-16 19:14:03

Nigella does a scrummy butternut and blue cheese pasta dish in Kitchen.

Ijustworkhere Tue 11-Oct-16 19:22:36

I just make them into curry, along with tomatoes and chickpeas. I find I need something to cut through the sweetness, and its made me wonder if I should try using butternuts on a sweet pastry base as a pud (rather like pumpkin pie) Hmm.

AtleastitsnotMonday Tue 11-Oct-16 19:27:17

I once had BNS cookies and they were amazing. I've never found a recipe though, so if anyone has a recipe ....

pinkblink Tue 11-Oct-16 19:33:25

https://thenakedblondie.com/2016/02/17/thenakedblondie-speedy-butternut-curry-2/.

BEST.CURRY.EVER

although Iv never put a leek in..... Iv been making this for at least 6 months and only really read the recipe first time, it's soooo good!

AtleastitsnotMonday Tue 11-Oct-16 19:33:35

Chilli butternut squash quesadillas
Spicy BNS butter bean and chickpea stew
Stuffed BNS

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Tue 11-Oct-16 20:11:21

You can make a strudel with grated butternut squash and an apple and raisins and walnuts.

Lovely.

Glitterkitten24 Tue 11-Oct-16 20:13:10

Best. Soup. Ever.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12808/butternut-squash-soup-with-chilli-and-crme-frache

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 12-Oct-16 10:36:09

Just popping in to say we have a lot of lovely squash and pumpkin recipes here if you're interested.

ppeatfruit Thu 13-Oct-16 12:28:18

Oooh you're lucky I love them. grin Do you or the other pps know that you can just bake them whole (with a few steam holes and brushed with oil) then use them for anything you like. Don't bake too long if you want to go on to cook them, in other ways.

It saves all that hard cutting.

INeedNewShoes Thu 13-Oct-16 12:32:10

Ooh that is useful info! Hope long roughly would you bake it prior to cutting up for roasting?

ppeatfruit Thu 13-Oct-16 12:37:06

Well if you want to cut off a bit to continue to roast, then just stick a sharp knife in , if it goes in too easily it's more than ready!! So just before it goes in easily IYSWIM grin

ppeatfruit Thu 13-Oct-16 12:38:19

If it's very fresh it will take less time.

frenchfancy Thu 13-Oct-16 12:47:53

Apparently you can just stick them whole into the slow cooker for 4 hours. no need to add liquid. I haven't tried it yet - and most of mine are too big to go in anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now