Using Up Bread

(18 Posts)
BackforGood Sat 08-Oct-16 17:15:39

My dd has stopped taking a packed lunch to school and stopped having toast at breakfast, so I've been freezing half a loaf regularly for a little while now and my freezer is full.
What yummy things can I make with leftover bread? I can only think of Summer Fruits pudding - but it's the wrong time of year grin

Any ideas for me (or sites I can search by 'ingredients I need to use up') please?

I have microwave, slow cooker, oven and hob at my disposal but am not a great cook.

SansasEscape Sat 08-Oct-16 17:17:08

Anything in breadcrumbs?

PinkSwimGoggles Sat 08-Oct-16 17:17:23

breadcrumbs for meatloaf?
crutons?

FanSpamTastic Sat 08-Oct-16 17:25:21

Bread pudding - it is like a spiced fruit loaf - delicious recipe.

NattyTile Sat 08-Oct-16 17:48:47

You can make an Autumn pudding. Like summer pudding but with apples and raisins and cinnamon and all good things.

Or bread and butter pudding - standard one is a sort of vanilla-y custard one but also good with Nutella or a decent chocolate sauce, or else a savoury one with sharp cheddar and tomatoes.

Fried sandwiches are amazingly good (but don't start down that route if you're not willing to take it all the way).

Eggy bread - rumour has it you can make that in a waffle iron too, might be worth a try one day?

No why do you keep freezing half loaves? Freeze the whole loaf straight away then just take out a couple of slices at a time. They'll defrost very very quickly.

Heratnumber7 Sat 08-Oct-16 17:54:09

Bread and butter pudding, obvs. probably a chocolate one

AtleastitsnotMonday Sat 08-Oct-16 19:05:18

Treacle tart! Or do your bread sauce and stuffing for Xmas and freeze.

BackforGood Sun 09-Oct-16 14:06:47

Sorry folks - got called away.
Thanks for your ideas.
I love treacle tart - don't think I've ever made one... didn't know they used bread blush
I don't like bread and butter pudding (I don't like dried fruit) but dh does so I could do that.
Autumn Pudding sounds good - I've got a bag of cooking apples a friend gave me off their tree.
Off to google some recipes now smile

Natty - normally loaves were eaten before they started to dry up, so no need to freeze, just ate them fresh. It's just since she stopped eating bread I've kept ending up with half a loaf on the BBE date and thought I'd bung it in the freezer and use for toast, forgetting I'd done the same twice before in the last fortnight! grin

LunaMay Sun 09-Oct-16 14:20:42

I take my leftover bread cut the crusts off and flatten it a bit. Then I press them into cupcake trays and fill with what I've got handy to make mini quiches/breakfast muffins (usually egg ham tomato onion etc). Chuck them in the oven for half an hour and done.

bookbook Sun 09-Oct-16 14:30:03

First thought - Queen of puddings - lovely dessert
and you dont need dried fruit in bread and butter pudding!
I do Delias recipe and just leave out the dried fruit. I do cut off the crusts and then bake in a bain marie ( roasting tin with boiling water in oven ) its nectar of the gods!

catinbooots Sun 09-Oct-16 14:36:57

NOT to feed the ducks smile

DM and I recently got told off for feeding white bread to our local ducks.

Apparently it makes them ill, harbours rats and encourages an algae bloom!

We've been told that it's better for them to eat Quinoa, grapes (cut in half), peas (defrosted).

Hell yeah, same here ducks grin

BackforGood Sun 09-Oct-16 14:42:41

Oh! I didn't know that bookbook (about a fruitless bread and butter) - will have to investigate further.

Love that idea LunaMay - and being individual I can do different ones for different fusspots people!

thank you!

Blondie1984 Sun 09-Oct-16 16:29:18

Apple Charlotte
Blitz a load down to make breadcrumbs for Xmas bread sauce
Toast and make breadcrumbs for doing turkey/chicken/pork escalopes or fishcakes/goujons

AtleastitsnotMonday Sun 09-Oct-16 16:34:22

For a non-fruity bread and butter pud you need this.

BackforGood Sun 09-Oct-16 16:51:31

mmmmmm

Thank AtLeast - my kind of recipe site! grin

bookbook Sun 09-Oct-16 16:52:23

Honestly BackforGood - it is amazing. I learned about the bain marie trick when watching Anton Mosimann years ago. I even cover the top for most of the cooking time , just taking it off to crisp on the top for the last 10 minutes. It just takes a tweak longer to cook. It's one of my DD's favourite pudding, and she hates dried fruit

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 15-Oct-16 21:28:03

Bread pudding (rather than bread and butter) normally has dried fruit but have made it with choc chips and marmalade before. Strata, kind of savoury bread pudding. Stuffing. If you dry it and breadcrumb you can make stuffing mix. Bread soup. Fishcakes or other bread crumbed stuff. Bread sauce. You can use brown bread to make pesto. Brown bread ice cream.

MakeJam Mon 17-Oct-16 07:52:33

loads of good ideas here , I can vouch for the Romesco sauce it's lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now