Yes I am from the 1950s - husband packed lunch

(5 Posts)
JohnCrane Tue 27-Sep-16 19:41:33

I do DH a packed lunch every day otherwise he spends money we don't have and also eats crap.

I find t really hard a lot of the time. Mostly obviously I make extra supper and he has leftovers but sometimes doesn't work to do that (not always a microwave, all got unexpectedly eaten etc etc).

Trouble is DH eats like an absolute horse and nothing seems to be enough. I personally have things like will grill up some
Aubergine, make a dressing or dip (garlicky yoghurt or something) at beginning of week then have deconstructedy salad type stuff based around that. A big plate of vegetables not so acceptable to DH. So looking for ideas of types of things that I could just buy and get him to construct a lunch for himself, like what I do but more (bleurgh hate myself do saying this) man friendly, ie stodgy, meat protein. Also we have a really strict food budget.

TIA on this impossible task!

Laska5772 Tue 27-Sep-16 19:54:20

Make Soup he can heat up? Veg and lentil is good . serve with hummus or cheese and pitta, Perhaps roast some chicken thighs or legs in oven when you are cooking dinner and let him take a couple of those in cold also.. apple/ banana and a cereal bar type thing ( flapjacks are easy and cheap to make or make a fruit cake and he can take a wodge of that

Its not really 1950s ..its Frugal ! I make lunches like this all the time ( but just for myself) DH makes his own as he works away all week, but if he was here we'd either one of us just make 2 lunches the same for each other

yeOldeTrout Tue 27-Sep-16 20:31:53

That sounds complicated. Why not make him 3 ham sandwiches & throw in a pack of Salt & vinegar and a Fanta?

AtleastitsnotMonday Tue 27-Sep-16 20:36:13

Maybe just look at upping the protein component a bit, things like fritatta made with potatoes, peppers and chorizio, tuna pasta with hard boiled eggs. Savoury flapjacks with seeds, nuts, cheese.
Not the healthiest but pasties are really filling, quiche could also work. You can pack a punch with a good filled baguette or doorstep sandwich!

Monikita Wed 28-Sep-16 17:41:03

I make lunch for both of us - I roast / pressure cook a whole chicken or gammon for Sunday lunch and then eke out the leftovers for lunches (it's just us and two small DDs so it's plenty).

I do the salady thing too - couscous/leftover potatoes/sweet potato with the protein and DH has sandwiches. I give him nuts, raisins, veg sticks, apple. You could always add crisps and make a cheap cake for the week to bulk ot out.
Turkey mince meatloaf is a fave at the mo and cheap

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now