Nice veggie / vegan recipes which my whole family will eat?

(7 Posts)
AbandonHopeDarren Mon 26-Sep-16 20:10:09

I am trying to get more veggie and vegan recipes into our family meals and am struggling to find something everyone will like. It's mainly me who wants to eat less meat, so any recipes which could be adapted so that meat can be included for some people would be good too.

Any ideas much appreciated.

bookbook Mon 26-Sep-16 21:16:07

We are not vegetarian , but the recipes my family all like
Risotto - particularly this one
risotto
Soups of all kinds
Cauliflower cheese or leek and eggs gratin - You can add crispy fried bacon bits and serve with jacket potato
Pancake cannelloni with spinach and four cheeses -

botemp Mon 26-Sep-16 22:28:54

Caesar salad is an easy adaptor, eggs for the veggie, grilled chicken or prawns for anyone else. Dressing is easy to make, use mayo instead of egg yolks if you're concerned for safety. I like grilling the cos lettuce in quarters for some added flavour too. Serve with some sort of (sweet) potatoes.

Polpette di melanzane are like meatballs to put on spaghetti (with tomato sauce) but made from aubergine instead. Some people make them half and half with meat or you can serve both separately.

Aubergine parmigiana is also great this time of year, I make it with rosemary polenta chips (simply get some quick cook polenta and cook per instructions -takes minutes-, season, add a bunch of parmesan and (fresh) rosemary, and tip it in a rectangular dish and flatten the top, cut into chip shapes once cool sprinkle a bit of olive oil and bake in the oven and turn over once browned). You can also make it with courgettes for some variety.

In general Italy's cucina povera has a lot of meat like dishes made vegetarian so you can easily do both versions/supplement.

Ottolenghi's book, Plenty, is pretty good for making vegetarian meals that can easily be supplemented with a bit of protein but make for a great meal on its own. The Guardian has a pretty extensive archive of his recipes but it requires quite a varied pantry.

Someone mentioned these beetroot burgers on a thread her once but I have yet to try them but they look like a possible crowd pleaser.

AbandonHopeDarren Tue 27-Sep-16 13:14:38

Lovely, thanks! smile

DoreenLethal Tue 27-Sep-16 13:16:39

What does your family already like to eat?
Make veggie versions.

AtleastitsnotMonday Tue 27-Sep-16 14:32:42

More veggie recipes than vegan but I like
Pasta with anchovies and capers
Moroccan-chickpea cakes
Falafels and Pittas
Italian bean casserole
Lentil and spinach dahl
North African chickpea stew
Pinto bean chilli

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Tue 27-Sep-16 14:37:03

Whilst looking for a recipe for another thread, I saw that Delia has lots of lovely looking vegetarian recipes on her website here. I have found quite a few that I want to try! Sorry, can't really recommend any yet, but you might find some of them tempting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now