Bday Cake made of fruits - My Little Pony Theme

(7 Posts)
InMyOwnWorld Wed 21-Sep-16 23:39:00

Hi,
My God-daughter will be 3 years old in 2 months time.

I really would like to do something special for her birthday, but becasue I can't bake (just thinking about baking makes me cringe!), I think a birthday cake made of fruits would be nice and different.

I googled it, but most of those cakes look... "blah"- just a pile of fruits that doesn't look like child would get excited about (well not as excited as when seeing a cake of castle with little ponies made of icing sugar!)

Just wondered if anybody could help to come up with an idea how could I make a pretty My Little Pony theme (ideally) cake made of fruits (or/and vegetables)
smile
Thanks in advance x

VioletBam Thu 22-Sep-16 03:15:53

To be perfectly honest, those fruit cakes never look nice. I have a lot of vegan friends and they always wheel them out expecting people to be impressed but they look like a big pile of "messed with" fruit which is wet and unappetising to look at.

You won't be able to achieve any detail for ponies or castles with fruit alone.

I advise you to buy some plain cupcakes and some My Little Pony cupcake toppers and present those.

thehugemanatee Thu 22-Sep-16 04:43:01

TBH I'd buy a cake. The fruit will be impossible to work with for what you want.

LBOCS2 Thu 22-Sep-16 05:06:48

Can't you just buy a cake and ice it yourself if you're not confident baking? I can't see how you'd decorate a 'fruit' cake.

FWIW, this is DD1's birthday cake from her 3rd birthday. The MLP figures I bought as a batch of 12 from eBay.

MumblePuppy Thu 22-Sep-16 05:33:09

My little pony shaped cookie cutters would be useful maybe?

Cut out ponies in different coloured fruits, and stick them on the end of fruit kebabs. Stick the fruit kebabs into a watermelon cake. Decorate watermelon cake with a rainbow made of berries, small fruit pieces.

Highlove Thu 22-Sep-16 12:00:10

Can't you just buy her one of you don't feel confident baking? My fruit-loving 2.5 year old would be pretty disappointed if her birthday 'cake' was just fruit.

InMyOwnWorld Thu 22-Sep-16 23:26:10

I wanted something that is different that the usual bday cake with an icing therefore the "cake made of fruits" idea.
I am always the one who just goes and buys stuff - this time I want to make an effort (but not too big of the effort that I need to bake .... I just realised I am pretty lazy godmother blush )

VioletBam you are so right those fruit cakes do look like a pile of mess and I am definetely going to do a test run to make sure it looks mega exciting - Highlove I am glad you mentioned your 2.5 year possible reaction.

I love the ponies cut out of the fruits idea MumblePuppy
perhaps I could add a rainbow made of jelly!

I am so excited now!

smile
Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now