VEGANS - a list of what to buy??

(24 Posts)
bestofbothhovis Tue 20-Sep-16 18:57:16

A family member is staying with us who is vegan. I've been trying to think of things I can buy (not just main meals but snacky junk type food too) for them. If you're vegan or know any vegan products and where I can buy them from please let me know!

NuggetofPurestGreen Tue 20-Sep-16 19:00:50

Hula Hoops (original flavour)
Some of the tesco own brand stuff - like these
www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=260085541
www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=254973150

NuggetofPurestGreen Tue 20-Sep-16 19:01:13

Fry's Peppermint Cream

NuggetofPurestGreen Tue 20-Sep-16 19:04:42

Peanuts and the like. Olives.

Not sure about main meals depends what they like! Salads and pasta dishes are good.

Sparklesilverglitter Tue 20-Sep-16 19:05:15

Oreos

Sparklesilverglitter Tue 20-Sep-16 19:08:26

Peanut butter

Sparklesilverglitter Tue 20-Sep-16 19:11:12

You could make the Jamie Oliver vegan chocolate tart it's lovely for dessert

www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chocolate-recipes/vegan-chocolate-tart-with-rhubarb/

Sparklesilverglitter Tue 20-Sep-16 19:12:13

Waitrose Moo free original milk chocolate is nice too.

wejammin Tue 20-Sep-16 19:14:49

Chili heatwave Doritos, hobnobs, lots of dark chocolate bars, Texas BBQ pringles, co-op custard or jam doughnuts

NuggetofPurestGreen Tue 20-Sep-16 19:15:14

Oh yes some dark chocolate but you need to check for milk powder and butterfat in some brands.

wejammin Tue 20-Sep-16 19:16:00

M&S iced and spiced buns, m&s garlic ciabatta fingers

wejammin Tue 20-Sep-16 19:17:18

Lots of the sweet and salty mix popcorn is vegan, I think tyrells and propercorn both are.

doasIsaynotasIdo Tue 20-Sep-16 19:18:25

Almond/soy milk, a dairy free spread instead of butter, fresh fruit and veg, maybe some nuts/dried fruit/mixed seeds. Junk wise, Oreos, mr Kipling jam tarts, crisps (check for milk powder though), chocolate covered rice crackers, Swedish glace ice cream.

wejammin Tue 20-Sep-16 19:18:43

For breakfast the jus rol crossiant, pain au chocolat and cinnamon roll dough tins (in the fridge section) are all vegan

PearlyFish Tue 20-Sep-16 19:19:11

Swedish Glace soya ice-cream (in most supermarkets). Makes an easy dessert with fruit or smashed up Oreo cookies.

Ginger biscuits.

PearlyFish Tue 20-Sep-16 19:20:31

Love the jus rol pastries smile

doasIsaynotasIdo Tue 20-Sep-16 19:21:20

Check in holland and Barrett as well, they often have quite a few things, including chilled stuff like vegan cheese/sausages/tofu.

doasIsaynotasIdo Tue 20-Sep-16 19:23:21

Tesco and Sainsbury's have good frozen vegan stuff like vegetable fingers/burgers and the like.

bestofbothhovis Tue 20-Sep-16 19:29:12

Ooh thank you everyone! That's given me a really good shopping list of stuff I can buygrin

lizzieoak Tue 20-Sep-16 19:30:00

That's a lot of junk food =:-0

I'm vegetarian not vegan & I snack on chocolate (dark), pumpkin seeds, crackers & hummus, fruit, olives. If you like baking you can substitute marg for butter or make a cake with olive oil. Whip up flax seeds w water to replace an egg in baking. Toast w peanut butter & jam is a nice snack.

I'm vegetarian for ethical reasons but most vegans are pretty health conscious so I'd guess might not be into sugary biscuits? Could be wrong though!

Emochild Tue 20-Sep-16 19:35:30

Hobnobs aren't vegan

They contain inverted sugar syrup -the sugar is processed using animal bones so not suitable for vegans

Tesco is our go to (dd is vegan) the website is very reliable in telling you if products are suitable for vegans -our local store has a big free from section which is fabulous for snack foods

bestofbothhovis Tue 20-Sep-16 20:06:01

Vegan relative eats virtually no sugary foods and snacks purely on like nuts and seeds and other healthy food! Haha.
They've come here for a week or so as they live a fair bit away and is treating this as cheat week! Having movie nights and wanted more junk type food to enjoy

wejammin Wed 21-Sep-16 13:28:02

emochild I think hobnobs have been confirmed as vegan by PETA, it is very rare for sugar in the UK to be filtered with bone char.

They do have palm oil in though, which is a whole other debate!

I should add, I don't just eat junk food! I just have a good list of options for parties and playdates. It sucks to go to a playdate with a box of grapes when everyone else has biscuits envy

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 21-Sep-16 22:54:09

This is a list of all of the vegan products at M&s it was correct as of Aug 16 so should be pretty reliable. You can get the same lists for any supermarket.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now