If the adults and DC eat separately in your house

(5 Posts)
whatsagoodusername Tue 20-Sep-16 11:00:33

How do you arrange it so that you are not cooking two evening meals?

I always ate with my parents as a child. With my DC, we used to eat all together when DH got home. But now that the DC are at school and usually hungry, whingy and tired by the time DH gets home, evening meals are not pleasant.

So I've been throwing frozen pizzas, pasta (plain with cheese sprinkled on) or chicken nuggets at the DC and DH and I are scrounging in the kitchen after we've got them to bed and no one is eating well. I loathe making dinner twice and half the time the DC refuse to eat what I've made so making food is disheartening when DH isn't there to actually like it.

So how do you do it? Keep doing crap they'll happily eat for the DC on weekdays and cook for me and DH after?

The DC do get a good cooked meal at school, but so far DS2 is not really eating it (very fussy, would rather not eat than eat something he doesn't like --like me as a child--).

corinnek Tue 20-Sep-16 11:53:09

We eat together at weekends, always have breakfast together but when it comes to dinner my toddler can't wait until hubby gets home from work.
I usually re-heat him leftovers of what we've had the night before or some kind of leftover I stashed in the freezer.
I then cook for us when he's in bed, keeping leftovers for us for lunch the next day and for the boy for his dinner.
Most things I cook serve 4 and there's only 2 (and a half!) of us so I have spares x

SheldonsSpot Tue 20-Sep-16 11:58:14

Same as above, DC's mostly had leftovers of what DH and I had the night before. Or .I'd do stuff like jacket potatoes with fillings, cook all the potatoes at once, DC would eat theirs and I'd warm ours up later while DH put them to bed.

clearsommespace Tue 20-Sep-16 11:58:38

We used to eat separately. They are bigger now.
If you make pasta with Tomato sauce and veg for the children, you can make extra and turn it into pasta bake. Then you don't feel so annoyed if they don't eat it. I had lots of combos like this.

dannydyerismydad Tue 20-Sep-16 11:59:26

We eat a lot of "wet" food. Stuff that I can serve to DS and then keep warm until DH comes home. As a result we seem to have a tinned tomato heavy diet!

Bolognese, chilli, lasagne, meatballs, delia's lime and coconut chicken...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now