Jam making

(5 Posts)
samk15 Mon 19-Sep-16 17:29:50

I've a hankering for making some jam but I'm a bit clueless about it all.

Do I need a proper jam pan ( which I may use once or twice a year) if this latest fad of mine continues or could I get away with using a good stock pot? ( there is more chance of me using this a bit more!)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

DoreenLethal Mon 19-Sep-16 17:35:19

Well, mine is both! I use it for jams, jellies, chutneys and soups and stews. And for cheesemaking. As long as it is a deep pan that can take a rolling boil it should be good for everything.

I got mine from my mum about 15 years ago and it's one of the best presents I've ever had.

Nightmanagerfan Mon 19-Sep-16 17:44:05

You can definitely use a large saucepan or stock pot. If it's your first time I would recommend using jam sugar as it makes the "is it set or not?" stress decrease somewhat.

I find rhubarb and ginger jam very easy to make. Black currant is also a firm favourite and SO much more tasty than shop bought. Enjoy preserving smile

samk15 Mon 19-Sep-16 17:48:36

Fab! Thank you both.

I was definitely leaning towards investing in a good stock pot so that it's a bit more versatile. I've got the worlds smallest kitchen so storage is an issue.

I picked some blackberries and apples so I thought I'd have a go at using those. Is it wrong to be a little bit excited about it grin

Nightmanagerfan Mon 19-Sep-16 17:53:18

No I love jam making - there's nothing quite as satisfying as seeing all the jars lined up afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now