I need help catering for veggie daughter!

(17 Posts)
Pratchettsdaughter Mon 19-Sep-16 16:20:36

My 11 year old has decided to go veggie (well she's still eating fish at the moment) and I'm finding dinners really tricky! We all eat evening meal together and I really don't want to have to make a whole separate meal or just end up giving her meat replacement stuff from the freezer. I'm making us all veggie friendly meals several nights a week but does anyone have any easy meals that can easily be made for meat eaters and veggies without too much faff? I made toad in the whole giving her veggie sausages and the rest of us normal which seemed to work but that has been the limit of my inspiration! Help!!

Haudyerwheesht Mon 19-Sep-16 16:23:22

You could make stuff like veggie lasagne and spag Bol by making a large one for all of you and a smaller fish / pan for the veggie version? Tbh though everyone just has the veggie lasagne here.

Haudyerwheesht Mon 19-Sep-16 16:23:45

Fish=dish

Blondie1984 Mon 19-Sep-16 17:28:59

Stir fry - you do one batch of noodles and veggies and then a protein for the meat eaters like beef or chicken and then tofu or whatever for her. or, if she is still eating fish you could do prawns for everyone

Risotto - make your base using veggie stock and then split into two - add leftover roast chicken to one and your meat alternative to the other

Pratchettsdaughter Mon 19-Sep-16 19:33:19

Like the risotto and stirfry ideas. Think I might try and make a big batch of veggie bolognase sauce with quorn or something and freeze it in individual portions to defrost when I make us the normal version.

What do you put in your veggie lasagna Haudyerwheest? I've never made one!

Coldhandscoldheart Mon 19-Sep-16 19:40:40

Felafel. Get pittas, heat felafel, put out chopped up, cucumber, peppers, grated carrot, bit of lettuce, hummus, gherkins. You can make a dressing with yoghurt, Mayo, mint & cucumber too.
Bung it all out, everyone stuffs their own pitta (let people know how many felafel they can have)

PurpleDaisies Mon 19-Sep-16 19:41:00

We aren't veggie but eat meat free most days for cost and health reasons. Bean and vegetable chilli is great, curries can be made with paneer (an Indian cheese) or chick peas instead of meat, spicy tomato pasta with quorn "chicken" pieces is a favourite here (with prawns, chorizo or chicken on meaty days). Pilaf is easy to do with meat on the side rather than as an integral part, the same with cous cous and tagine.

Bbcgood food has a great vegetarian section.

Superstar90 Mon 19-Sep-16 19:44:41

Red bean mousaka is lovely and so meaty you won't miss the meat.
Chilli made with veggie mince
Fajitas - you have chicken she can have quorn chicken pieces
Shepherds pie made with quorn mince
Often we'll cook 'oven bits' ie we'll all have same potato and veg but then the meat eaters will have a piece of meat and the veggie a shop ready made stuffed mushroom or stuffed pepper or a mini quiche or veggie sausage etc

Coldhandscoldheart Mon 19-Sep-16 19:45:00

Veggie lasagne, I make bolognese with half veggie mince (not quorn) and half red lentils, cook them til they're soft. Marigold low salt stick is good, also Vecon which is quite marmitey & gives quite a meaty flavour. It also has b12 I think.
I layer that with the lasagne with a layer of spinach and garlic mushrooms (cook mushrooms with butter & garlic, add frozen spinach, do low till defrosted) and cheese sauce on the top. You can also get nuch (nutritional yeast, tastes cheesy) to add to your cheese sauce another good source of b12 smile

Pratchettsdaughter Mon 19-Sep-16 19:48:04

I'm quite enjoying the veggie options actually - have always been a real carnivore so am a bit suprised at myself! My 6 year old has always been quite picky with her meat too so I thought it would be good for her but turns out she's just picky with everything!
We've had some lovely prawn pasta dishes, chickpea and sweet corn burgers, halloumi on the BBQ and I got some roasted veg and goats cheese pastry things to have when we had a roast which were really nice. Just every now and then I get a real meat craving and my DH is the same - just don't want to have to make two dinners but probably just being lazy. She did promise to make dinner for all of us herself one night a week but starting secondary school has wiped her out at the moment so might have to wait a bit.

Superstar90 Mon 19-Sep-16 19:48:59

I do the easy mousaka version of onions, tinned tomatoes, tin kidney beans, red wine, small tin mixed beans as one layer (cook all this layer first), fried aubergine one layer, ready made white sauce one layer and then loads of cheddar on top - oven for 30 mins then done! Serve with broccoli and crusty bread!

Pratchettsdaughter Mon 19-Sep-16 20:09:20

These veggie recipes sound fab - love the sound of the lentils in the lasagna coldhands. And used to love moussaka but don't make it very often because it was such a faff but the beans sound good. Lots of things to put on my shopping list!
Nutritional yeast? Keen to get lots of iron and b vits into her so will look for these - are they readily available?

Superstar90 Mon 19-Sep-16 20:27:34

Lots of leafy veg for her! And marmite is vitamin b rich too. Don't worry too much about nutrients as you'll likely find she ends up a more diverse range of food and therefore healthier. I've been veggie over 25 years (including thro 2 pregnancies and breastfeeding) and always had excellent iron and vitamin levels in blood tests.

This is a lovely tart which I've done a few times and means you can get the all important spinach into her.

www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/recipes/cheddar-onion-spinach-tart/

Pratchettsdaughter Mon 19-Sep-16 21:14:48

Brilliant - thank you all. Fingers crossed for not too much washing up!

Coldhandscoldheart Mon 19-Sep-16 21:34:10

I think I bought it in Holland and Barrett. It's in a big brown tub, it's like flakes. Fish food! I knew it reminded me of something! grin but v tasty.

But as superstar says, you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Keep an eye out for school lunches tho, I think my niece ate nothing but chips for lunch for a while as veggie options were so poor, and until my sister found out!

Also nut loaf can be surprisingly good.

AtleastitsnotMonday Mon 19-Sep-16 22:56:45

Frittata's are easy to add meat to but use same veggie base.
Puff pastry tarts and pizzas too.

SanityClause Mon 19-Sep-16 23:08:05

DD1 is a veggie.

Sometimes I do a "spread" of tapas or meze type things, some with meat, and some without, and everyone helps themselves to the bits they want.

Sometimes I do a vegetarian meal for all of us.

Sometimes I do a vegetarian version of what we are eating for her. So, I'll make goulash, and make hers with mushrooms, rather than beef, or fish cakes, and put a bit of feta in hers, instead of salmon.

I have a few quorn things in the freezer, for times when I just can't think of an alternative.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now