Healthy-ish popcorn toppings?

(24 Posts)
FusionChefGeoff Fri 16-Sep-16 17:55:06

Much excitement at casa Fusion today as we did proper popcorn in a pan for Film Friday. But the toppings (Parmesan and cinnamon - not together wink) weren't very successful.

What could I do apart from salt, butter or icing sugar???

IcedVanillaLatte Fri 16-Sep-16 17:57:54

Mix them together and make caramel? Then there's only a little bit of each one! wink

FusionChefGeoff Fri 16-Sep-16 21:35:41

Iced I smothered my bowl in salted butter (!) but want to avoid added salt for DC plus am trying to find a sugar free snack repertoire so I'm scratching my head about what might work

IcedVanillaLatte Fri 16-Sep-16 21:42:17

What about something like paprika?

IcedVanillaLatte Fri 16-Sep-16 21:45:28

What I'd do is sift through the cupboards, find every likely candidate you can for flavouring it, like different ground spices, divide the popcorn into lots of little portions, and have an experimenting/tasting session? Should be fun, if nothing else, and a batch of popcorn is cheap enough that it doesn't matter if most of it is inedible.

IcedVanillaLatte Fri 16-Sep-16 21:47:15

Also, it's good that it's pan-cooked rather than air-popped, as to be frank you need some oil on there for the flavourings to stick to.

I always popped my popcorn in ghee instead of veg oil; gets a nice buttery taste without having to add extra butter.

IcedVanillaLatte Fri 16-Sep-16 21:49:23

Also, if you can find ghee without added ethyl butyrate, it tastes better. The butyrate makes it taste weird, at least to me. Some brands don't have it.

IcedVanillaLatte Fri 16-Sep-16 21:49:47

I make my own ghee… blush

lostscot Fri 16-Sep-16 21:51:02

I used to do a savoury popcorn that was widely requested, wonder where the recipe went......

iklboo Fri 16-Sep-16 21:51:58

I was coming on to suggest salt & smoked paprika

IcedVanillaLatte Fri 16-Sep-16 21:52:40

The problem is, savoury popcorn always tastes better with salt in the seasoning mix.

FusionChefGeoff Fri 16-Sep-16 22:22:18

Iced I smothered my bowl in salted butter (!) but want to avoid added salt for DC plus am trying to find a sugar free snack repertoire so I'm scratching my head about what might work

dudsville Fri 16-Sep-16 22:28:10

How do you pan fry your popcorn? When i was a kid this was a thing but I'm so used to microwave popcorn I've lost the knack.

GoldFishFingerz Fri 16-Sep-16 23:10:58

Cinnamon

Blondie1984 Fri 16-Sep-16 23:54:30

Vanilla sugar
Choc shot syrup

lostscot Sat 17-Sep-16 01:59:57

http://www.onceuponachef.com/2013/04/nigella-lawsons-party-popcorn.html

Think it was this one. Still salt and sugar though.

IcedVanillaLatte Sat 17-Sep-16 09:07:05

You said that about the butter, Fusion sounds revolting grin… I was just mentioning the ghee as it gets you a nice buttery taste without having to add any additional fat and makes it taste quite nice without any toppings at all, and unfortunately the savoury flavourings do taste better with salt! But there've been quite a few suggestions without salt you could try. I'd mention nutritional yeast, but it's quite salty. If you do want to add any salt, powdered goes further.

Incidentally, what's the problem with salt and/or sugar? I'm assuming the popcorn is an occasional treat. I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong, just interested to know!

mommybunny Sat 17-Sep-16 22:07:53

To the extent you're popping the corn in oil, why don't you try infusing rosemary into the oil before popping? I've never tried it myself but I saw a Giada de Laurentiis recipe for it years ago and thought it sounded intriguing.

My late beloved father was no cook, but he taught me how to make popcorn - butter wasn't necessary so long as it was popped in a saucepan in oil. Just a liberal sprinkling of salt on the hot corn and that was all you needed. Bliss! When DH is away on business trips I sometimes feed DCs "proper" food for dinner and make myself a saucepan of popcorn for my dinner while I catch up on TV or reading.

CaptainWarbeck Sun 18-Sep-16 11:38:22

Salt and smoked paprika sounds delicious. Going to try that!

FusionChefGeoff Sun 18-Sep-16 22:05:22

Iced I am not completely against the salt / sugar angle but if I make something myself, I do try to use it as a chance to reduce / remove it so I don't feel too bad about when I don't have that choice / option.

IcedVanillaLatte Sun 18-Sep-16 22:10:45

That's fair enough! It's tricky, so much premade stuff has unnecessary quantities of the stuff.

cdtaylornats Mon 19-Sep-16 01:23:58

I was looking for ideas a while ago and found this www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/50-flavored-popcorn-recipes.html

FusionChefGeoff Mon 19-Sep-16 20:34:51

Cheers CDTaylor - that's amazing! Should keep me going for a while!

SugarMiceInTheRain Mon 19-Sep-16 20:38:19

Cajun seasoning? We always have some in the cupboard for homemade wedges, so I imagine it'd work well on popcorn too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now