Cheap meal ideas needed!

(9 Posts)
JudgyMcJudgypants Thu 15-Sep-16 17:54:23

So my husband and I need to have an ultra frugal three or four weeks. We're both accountants, not massively extravagant but have had quite a few unexpected outgoing a this month and need to tighten our belts.

I cook all our meals and I will admit that I do overspend on food/meals.

What are your cheap go-to meals?

On my list are;
Beans on toast
Sausage, eggs, chips and beans.
Cereal and toast (I actually can't wait for that - who doesn't love breakfast for dinner!)

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 15-Sep-16 17:57:28

Soups
Vegetarian curries with lentils and veg etc.
Bigger quantities batch cooked and frozen works out cheaper than different meals each day
I can't imagine anything worse than cold cereal for dinner, sorry!

JudgyMcJudgypants Thu 15-Sep-16 17:59:11

(I think my cereal addiction during pregnancy has spilled over!)

Tinklypoo Thu 15-Sep-16 18:02:36

Cheating Carbonara. Linguine, a small pot of single cream, diced smoked bacon, Parmesan Cheese. About £1.60 for two portions if you have linguine or spaghetti in the cupboard and a bit of cheese in the fridge.

Had Portobello mushrooms in creamy tarragon sauce on toast the other night. Again about £2.50 for two.

Chilli and baked potatoes using 50/50 pork and beef mince. I put baked beans, red kidney beans and a tin of chopped tomatoes in mine. 500g mince costs about £3. Tins another £1.50. Makes enough chilli for 3 dinners for two of us. Must have cheese and sour cream.

I

1frenchfoodie Thu 15-Sep-16 19:52:20

Assuming you are not planning to go vegetarian then ensuring your protein is cheap will bring in meals cheaply. Then add plenty of veggies and/pulses for bulk.

Chicken thighs are great for casseroles, curries and kebabs.

Smoked gammon boiled then glazed and oven cooked will give a gammon meal and you can make pea and ham soup with the stock.

Sausages are nice in sausage casserole and stovies.

Fish pie mixed fish can be pretty cheap.

dementedma Thu 15-Sep-16 19:55:34

Jacket potatoes and cheese/tuna/ coleslaw etc
Corned beef hash
Spaghetti mozzarella bake
Egg and chips
Lentil curry

MerylPeril Thu 15-Sep-16 20:02:10

Make a huge batch of tomato sauce (tinned tomatoes, onions, garlic) freeze in portions and then have with pasta with whatever you want to add - bacon, olives.

AtleastitsnotMonday Thu 15-Sep-16 22:44:10

Fritatta is my go to use up whatever needs to go meal and therefore works out cheap. Do you have lots of random tins, jars, random bits in the freezer? When I moved I needed to use up all my odd and sods and was amazed at how long it took to use up stuff that I already had, it just seemed to go on for ever!
Home made pizza is really cheap and again uses up lots of odds and ends.
Tuna pasta, pasta arabiata, spaghetti with garlic mushrooms.
If you are keen on meat I often find a smoked pork loin Like a small gammon joint really good value.
Check out Jack Monroe's recipes they are really tasty and as cheap as they come, I'd recommend her carrot and kidney bean burgers
And I have to mention my student favourite pasta, beans and cheese with liberal amounts of cracked black pepper and worstershire sauce

Blondie1984 Fri 16-Sep-16 16:56:47

Lentil Dahl is one of my favourite cheap meals
Frittatas as someone else mentioned
Buy a large chicken and you can get a few meals out of that - roast, sandwiches, risotto

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now