Ideas for dinner tonight please.

(13 Posts)
Cherubneddy1 Wed 14-Sep-16 10:02:54

I need some inspiration, what shall I cook tonight? There are chicken thigh fillets, chicken breasts and beef mince in the fridge. I have a moderately fussy 3 and a 5 yr old, but I'm keen to get them to try refuse new dishes. We have all the usual fresh and store cupboard staples.

NoNoNotAgain Wed 14-Sep-16 10:11:36

I have young kids too - things I make that we all eat that use your ingredients are:

Shwarma (with pitta and chickpeas and salad just for adults as my kids don't eat it)
www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/oven-cooked_chicken_04728
Chicken thigh, chorizo and chickpea casserole
Mild curries with either chicken thigh or breast
Chilli con carne or minced beef keema

Chelsea26 Wed 14-Sep-16 10:14:30

I'd make chicken and chorizo rice with the chicken breasts, roast the chicken thighs in a tray bake with new potatoes, peppers, onions etc and maybe some pesto. Mince could be anything, chilli, spag Bol, keema curry, homemade burgers, tacos, or even plain old (but Delilah) mince and tatties

panad317 Wed 14-Sep-16 10:35:40

Pitta bread/tortilla wrap pizzas go down well here! I usually make a few wedges and a corn on the cob with them 😋 easy, fast and yummy!

Cherubneddy1 Wed 14-Sep-16 11:58:58

Thanks, some great ideas! I should have said, we have chicken curries and chilli ALOT! Liking the idea of chicken and chorizo rice though, think they may love that. Beef keema? May have to google that. We all love a bit of spice wink

Cherubneddy1 Wed 14-Sep-16 12:00:48

Chelsea, I love plain old mince and mash, one of my comfort foods from childhood!

HighHopes16 Wed 14-Sep-16 12:03:07

Quesadilla's are a new favourite in our house. Chicken breast chunks, onion, peppers, sweetcorn cooked with paprika. place on a wrap and grate over with cheese. place another wrap on top, press down and put in the oven for 10 minutes until crispy and cheese is melted. cut into quarters and serve with sweet potato wedges & salad.

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 14-Sep-16 12:23:30

Morrocan chicken and chickpea tagine with cous cous

Chelsea26 Wed 14-Sep-16 16:40:10

This is similar to my chicken and chorizo rice but I add more 'stuff' depending on what I have - courgettes are good.

And beef keema below - sounds weird tastes great!

Ingredients

198ml/7fl oz water or beef stock
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 tsp finely grated ginger, 1 tbsp cumin seeds, 2 tbsp medium curry powder and 3-4 green chillies, deseeded (optional) and finely sliced
737g/1lb 10 oz extra lean minced beef
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
198g/7oz mushrooms, halved or quartered
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
salt and freshly ground black pepper
198g/7oz sugar snap peas, trimmed

Method

1. Place the water or stock in a large, heavy-based saucepan and add the onion. Cook over a low heat for 15-20 minutes, until softened, Add the garlic, ginger, cumin seeds, curry powder, green chillies and minced beef and stir and cover over a high heat for 4-5 minutes.

2. Stir in the tomatoes, mushrooms and carrots and bring to the boil. Season well, cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 1-1 and half hours, stirring often, or until the mince is tender and the sauce has thickened. Ten minutes before the end of cooking time, add the sugar snap peas

Chelsea26 Wed 14-Sep-16 16:40:57

Whoops forgot the link

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1167651/chicken-and-chorizo-jambalaya

Cherubneddy1 Wed 14-Sep-16 18:10:53

Thanks Chelsea. I'm going to try your beef keema recipe tomorrow !

Cookingongas Wed 14-Sep-16 18:40:02

I would make-

Chicken ramen with the breasts

Thighs deboned and stuffed with goats cheese and spinach, served with roast new potatoes and peas -or chips-

Beef mince cobbler with rosemary scones

Chelsea26 Wed 14-Sep-16 20:11:59

Let me know what you think - it's one of our favourites!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now