Shop boughtgnocci gnocci

(14 Posts)
PinkCloudDweller Sun 11-Sep-16 12:03:27

Whenever I cook them, they turn out heavy and slimy. What am I doing wrong?

Statelychangers Sun 11-Sep-16 13:49:59

Nothing - they are awful! We make our own - kids love eating the homemade ones, so they are keen to make them.

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 11-Sep-16 14:27:26

I'm not keen either, I try it again once a year or so and find the same.

PoisonWitch Sun 11-Sep-16 14:33:52

I like them but you have to hoik them out the water as soon as they float. Do it quick or they go slimy and minging. Watch them.

RosieWithTheGoodCreditHistory Sun 11-Sep-16 14:39:12

I hate them too. Would REALLY recommend this recipe, it's not exactly the same as potato based but less faff and really good: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/03/ricotta-gnocchi-homemade-food-lab-recipe.html

starsinyourpies Sun 11-Sep-16 14:49:36

I think you're cooking them for too long as well, as soon as they float take them out.

SheDoneAlreadyDoneHadHerses Sun 11-Sep-16 16:22:04

I boil mine till they float and then colour them in some hot brown butter in a frying pan.

PinkCloudDweller Sun 11-Sep-16 19:27:45

Thanks! They were a bit better this time - I boiled them until they floated and then I baked them in a very tasty t homemade tomato sauce. But they still had some of the slimy texture I mentioned before. Thanks for the recipe, Rosie, I'll try that out and report back!

Ackvavit Sun 11-Sep-16 19:32:01

Shallow fry in olive oil with oregano and garlic and you have the most delicious mini roasties really quick. Drain and serve with anything meat of fish based with veg. Easiest mid week impressive meal ever.

CatherineDeB Sun 11-Sep-16 19:45:05

I eat shop bought gnocchi once a week and have never thought it was slimy - they do take about a minute to cook though.

My favourite sauce is dolcelatte and cream, melted in a pan, nothing else - divine.

bakingaddict Sun 11-Sep-16 19:54:04

I've tried gnocchi from all the supermarkets and Iceland are the best. I do make it myself along with pasta but sometimes life is too short and I go for shop bought. Take them out of the water as soon as they float and then pan fry them

UnicornMadeOfPinkGlitter Sun 11-Sep-16 19:55:54

If you're baking them you don't need to boil them.

I only boil if just stirring through pesto or adding to a frying pan with bacon peas onions and sage.

ToffeeForEveryone Sun 11-Sep-16 20:01:41

Cooking too long probably. Make sure water is boiling before adding and drain them just as they start to float.

I get ours from Sainsburys and love them for a super quick meal. Favourite is with chicken, leeks, garlic, Philadelphia and parmesan for sauce. Gooey and yum smile

SwedishEdith Sun 11-Sep-16 20:16:32

Some nice recipes here I quite like the slimyness though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now