Do you make biscuits at home? Any good recipes to share?

(6 Posts)
bibbitybobbityyhat Sat 10-Sep-16 16:32:33

I want to make the type where you roll out a dough and use cookie cutters, rather than the big soft American cookies where you put blobs of dough on the baking sheet.

Thanks in advance.

bibbitybobbityyhat Sat 10-Sep-16 18:36:54

flowers

ArnoldRimmerBSc Sun 11-Sep-16 07:46:20

This recipe is really good if you want to make decorated biscuits with children.
www.thepinkwhisk.co.uk/2013/02/biscuits-for-decorating-non-spreading-no-chilling-required.html

My other favourite is shortbread with various flavours (eg lemon zest, chic chips, cinnamon). I roll into a cylinder chill for twenty minutes and then slice into rounds and bake. I freeze the cylinders too so I can make quick emergency biscuits! But you could press out and cut shapes with the chilled dough instead.
Any shortbread recipe will do. I use one like this.
www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/shortbread_1290

CaitAgusMadra Sun 11-Sep-16 08:29:23

Probably not what you are looking for but these are a lovely savoury biscuit. You can obviously use any shape cookie cutter

Callmecordelia Sun 11-Sep-16 11:31:00

I use this one as my basic recipe - www.nigella.com/recipes/butter-cut-out-cookies

I never add salt, and usually make bigger shapes than Nigella does, so I get just over 30 from the dough. I usually freeze half.

It's a really versatile recipe - you can swap the vanilla for lemon extract, add spice, chocolate chips etc. Out current favourite is smartie stars - for each half quantity of dough, add one tube of smarties. Cut into star shapes. That's it!

I do often need to add quite a bit more flour when rolling out, but the biscuits never seem to mind that. And the dough is very forgiving of being rolled out multiple times by children. I never bother to ice them.

FinallyHere Sun 11-Sep-16 12:29:00

You can also freeze the dough once cut out, and keep in the freezer separated by greaseproof paper, then bake from frozen. Mmmmm, warm biscuits on demand.

I say you can keep the dough....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now