Frozen spinich

(16 Posts)
Sunflowersmiling Fri 09-Sep-16 07:27:52

Anyone got any suggestions for recipies using frozen spinich. I bought some to try and get more greens, but im at a loss to think what to make with it. What do you do with your frozen spinich?

JohnCrane Fri 09-Sep-16 07:34:11

Anything! I add spinach to basically all our meals. So curries, stews, ragus, soups etc. Lasagne and macaroni cheese, any kind of pasta dish. I also make spinach pancakes (with spring onions, cumin etc) plus lime butter on top.

00100001 Fri 09-Sep-16 07:56:46

yy chuck it in curries
we put it in omelettes.
saag dishes
on pizza

Timeforabiscuit Fri 09-Sep-16 08:00:44

Beef and chickpea curry! Family favourite here smile

Doje Fri 09-Sep-16 08:06:46

Spinach, Chickpea and Potato curry! Big favourite in our house. And spinach and ricotta canneloni. But also as above, added into pasta dishes and bolognese etc.

NisekoWhistler Fri 09-Sep-16 08:08:55

Greek spinach pie, search on BBC site.
Throw into omelettes with feta. Great high protein low carb dieters meal.

ChickyDuck Fri 09-Sep-16 08:10:28

A normally chuck a few cubes in pretty much any saucy type dish: pasta sauces, bolognese, casseroles etc. Also great in quiches/tarts/pies, with eggs on toast, in soup!

avocadosweet Fri 09-Sep-16 08:13:26

I put it in everything too, so not really spinach based dishes but a bit of extra veg and colour in curry, pasta etc.

Highlove Fri 09-Sep-16 09:16:34

When/how do you put in omelettes? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question!

00100001 Sat 10-Sep-16 09:03:07

I just defrost it in the pan / fry it a a little before the eggs go in

tshirtsuntan Sat 10-Sep-16 09:07:24

Spinach and mushroom lasagne is lovely, cook a load of mushrooms in a bit of butter with garlic, add stock and blend to a sauce, heat frozen spinach with cream cheese or cottage cheese, layer up finishing with mushroom sauce top with cheese and bake.

dailyarsewipe Sat 10-Sep-16 09:09:04

That fish that you cook in a bag, wholewheat noodles and spinach. Lovely.

But also As others have said, any curries etc.

GraceGrape Sat 10-Sep-16 09:10:46

There's a sauce called Florentine I think which is like a white sauce with spinach in it and goes with fish. Dd1 loved it when she was a baby ( although would refuse to touch it now!)

NisekoWhistler Sat 10-Sep-16 09:11:39

I defrost overnight or pop in the microwave

Janek Sat 10-Sep-16 09:22:42

I make spinach risotto sometimes as a store cupboard meal, fry an onion, cook the risotto rice (ie gradually add stock until it's cooked) add the defrosted spinach and parmesan at the end (and sometimes a bit of lemon juice).

I also add it to anything i'm cooking that i can get away with - it's like a free extra veg.

We prefer frozen leaf spinach to frozen chopped spinach.

Sunflowersmiling Fri 16-Sep-16 21:44:08

Thanks everyone...great ideas! think I'm taken with the lasagne. ..will try this weekend! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now