Vegan pastry fillings

(17 Posts)
TiltedNewt Thu 08-Sep-16 20:52:57

I have just discovered that jus rol pastry is vegan! I'm not, but my friend is. It would be lovely if I had something super tasty to offer when she visits. So what can I fill the puff pastry with? Google found a few veggie recipes but reliant on cheese.

AnnieOnnieMouse Thu 08-Sep-16 21:03:49

www.violifefoods.com/
they make a cheese substitute that is a bit like edam cheese, so not wonderful in a sarnie, but lovely melted. I'm not vegan, but have to avoid milk, and I get through lots of it! Large branches of Tesco, Morrisons, etc stock it.
(invites self round)

TiltedNewt Thu 08-Sep-16 21:46:19

Thanks, that's great. I thought that vegan cheese was rubbish at melting though? My information may be out of date though.

YelloDraw Thu 08-Sep-16 22:28:42

I do a nice roast Mediterranean veg with cubed Taifun olive tofu in puff pastry.

whattheactualfuckadyfuck Thu 08-Sep-16 22:30:00

No-Muh-Melty is the best vegan melty cheese

ninja Thu 08-Sep-16 22:32:12

I did filo parcels recently with spinach, mushroom, sundried tomato and coriander - it was delicious

AtleastitsnotMonday Thu 08-Sep-16 22:42:40

This chestnut pate en croute make a great main if entertaining.

cdtaylornats Thu 08-Sep-16 23:07:22

Nut and dried fruit mixes

Fry finely chopped onions until colouring
Add nuts and fry until golden
Add dried fruit, parsley, breadcrumbs and lemon zest

Use as samosa/pasty/pie filling

Ratios are
2 onion
50g nuts
140g dried fruit
100g fresh white breadcrumb
20g pack parsley, chopped
finely grated zest of 1 lemon

In theory you would bind it with egg but if you are surrounding it with pastry it doesn't need binding.

dontpokethebear Thu 08-Sep-16 23:10:39

Garlic, onion, mushroom, spinach and lentils?

Or squash, garlic, onion bit of curry powder, chilli and lentil?

DeliveredByKiki Fri 09-Sep-16 05:49:25

Tons of lovely meaty mushrooms, sundries tomatoes and a bit of pesto

TeddyIsaHe Fri 09-Sep-16 11:23:57

Ooh love a leek and mushroom pasty! Sweat leeks down in Pure or oil, remove, turn heat up and add more fat fry off mushrooms until nicely browned. I then make up a quick white sauce with No-Moo melty, paprika and garlic, get it reasonably thick and then stick the leeks and mushrooms back into it. It's delicious and I rarely make them as I'm prone to eating all in one sitting!

TeddyIsaHe Fri 09-Sep-16 11:25:37

Also extremely nice with roasted butternut squash or sweet potato added also!

Cherryskypie Fri 09-Sep-16 11:27:45

Is there a good vegan pesto?

TeddyIsaHe Fri 09-Sep-16 11:44:04

Sacla do a brilliant one, I prefer it to the dairy one as they use tofu in it so it's super silky and delish! Most big super markets do it now as well.

Cherryskypie Fri 09-Sep-16 11:56:03

Excellent! Thank you. Off to buy it now!

TiltedNewt Fri 09-Sep-16 17:39:30

Excellent ideas here. I am going to have fun trying them out. Thank you.

PaperdollCartoon Thu 15-Sep-16 14:58:33

Violife for pizza is the best vegan melty cheese. I did like the Vegusto no-moo melty, but Violife for pizza wins hands down! And it's cheaper.

A nice veggie pie is yum (red bisto is vegan, or make in a tomato sauce) use root veggies and squash and add chickpeas for protein. Sacla dairy free/tofu pesto is yummy.
I've made yummy filo parcels and puff pastry parcels using Tesco vegan cream cheese, grated Tesco vegan cheddar, vegan pesto, chopped onion and garlic and wilted spinach. Adding mushrooms would also be nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now