Bircher muesli/overnight oats?

(12 Posts)
FelixFelix Tue 06-Sep-16 19:39:27

I am starting college soon but only in from 10-3, 3 days a week and don't usually eat a lot during the day (usually some fruit/yoghurt for breakfast but often skip it and soup for lunch).

I think taking some Bircher muesli with me to eat at lunch time would be good. I don't generally eat bread and not keen on salads and I can't afford to buy lunch out every day.

Does anyone have any good recipes for it? Some variations would be nice. I am just writing my shopping list now!

Any other ideas of things to eat would be nice also smile

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Tue 06-Sep-16 19:43:59

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/oct/23/how-to-make-perfect-bircher-muesli-recipe

MoMandaS Tue 06-Sep-16 19:47:37

I do this for dh every day. 35g oats, tbsp golden linseed, hot water to more than cover. Once absorbed, stir in a heaped tbsp yoghurt plus any fruit, e.g. mashed banana and top with raspberries, raisins and cinnamon stirred in and topped with apple, blackberries on top with vanilla extract stirred in, blueberries and strawberries... anything you like really!

FelixFelix Tue 06-Sep-16 20:19:26

Thank you! That sounds lovely and quite simple. All the recipes I keep looking at all have weird ingredients.

Chelsea26 Tue 06-Sep-16 20:58:59

Porridge oats, vanilla muller light and frozen raspberries mixed together and left overnight is amazing!

Also mashed banana, oats, plain yoghurt, vanilla essence and/or dried cinnamon

1frenchfoodie Wed 07-Sep-16 07:27:08

Not bircher but if you fancy a change I like the following

Pot of yoghurt (natural or greek but latter a bit thick)
Same volume of chopped fruit
Few tbsp of oats
1 Tbsp of nut butter (cashew, hazelnut, almond etc)

Mix and enjoy. Can be done the night before but then don't use greek yoghurt or it sets too hard.

FelixFelix Wed 07-Sep-16 09:27:47

Fab, thanks for all the great ideas!

IWantAMooseCalledDominic Wed 07-Sep-16 09:42:56

Ooh this is one of my fav breakfasts. I do 2 scoops oats, 2 scoops coconut milk (from a carton, the brand I use is Koko. It keeps for a good 2 weeks in the fridge). You could use normal milk either if you prefer. I then add raisins, ground flax, some pumpkin seeds and some raisins and mix it all together. Make it the night before and put it in the fridge overnight. Its so filling!

FelixFelix Wed 07-Sep-16 09:46:35

Dominic that sounds lovely. We already buy that Koko brand coconut milk, and sometimes cashew milk too so I'll definitely give that a try.

IWantAMooseCalledDominic Wed 07-Sep-16 14:05:13

Ah hope you like it smile it's so portable you can even eat it on the go if needs be, plus the raisins make it nice and sweet whilst still being relatively healthy!

CaitAgusMadra Thu 08-Sep-16 10:36:47

Second the guardian recipe, it's delicious

Sammysquiz Thu 08-Sep-16 14:42:18

I put sultanas and oats in a bowl and pour over coconut milk (the Alpro one in a carton, not the stuff in tins). I sometimes stir fruit & yoghurt into it in the morning too. It's delicious!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now