Family dinner prep

(13 Posts)
littlem133 Mon 05-Sep-16 19:39:57

I've got three kids under ten. Some days they're in nursery til I get them home at 6 then the eldest often have a club every evening but they're hungry and need a cooked dinner. Apart from prepared and frozen meals and slow cookers (there's no chance of me prepping dinners before we leave at 7.30!) what can I do to give them a pretty instant and healthy hot dinner?!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 05-Sep-16 19:41:58

Fajitas. Chicken, peppers and onion, takes 15 minutes.

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Mon 05-Sep-16 19:43:35

Chilli. Less than 20 mins.

MrsAukerman Mon 05-Sep-16 19:45:50

Could you bake some potatoes the night before then microwave and serve with beans, tuna, cheese etc?

MrsAukerman Mon 05-Sep-16 19:47:01

Pan of hearty soup (prepared a previous day) serve with cheese on toast.

HeyMicky Mon 05-Sep-16 19:51:02

Stir fry with super noodles
Soup
Pre cooked chicken and microwave veg
Poach salmon in the microwave and serve with salad or microwave veg
Omelettes

daisydalrymple Mon 05-Sep-16 19:51:37

Pasta with whatever sauces you all like
Omelettes with salad / easy veg crusty bread
Beans on toast
Soup and rolls
Jkt pot tuna& sweetcorn / beans& cheese salad (put a load of jkt pots in the oven whenever you're doing a roast or similar, then you can freeze them and microwave when needed)
Spaghetti and pesto
Veg Stir fry with noodles / rice (especially the microwave /straight to wok pouches)

Allalonenow Mon 05-Sep-16 20:00:24

Spaghetti Carbonara

LadyMonicaBaddingham Mon 05-Sep-16 20:03:53

Prep it the night before, stick the pot in the fridge, then transfer it to the slow cooker in the morning. Works for me, and I have to leave for work at 0730 too. Or use a few weekend hours to make up dump bags (Google it) once a month.

WorkingBling Mon 05-Sep-16 20:09:42

Will they eat meat like chops, chicken breasts etc? If so, grill or fry these with rice/pasta/ potatoe on side and steamed veg (frozen work well). Ditto fish.

Chicken drumsticks are easily roasted the night before and heated in the microwave (i do a lot of roasting of this sort while doing bed and bath time and then it's supper for me and dh that day and the kids the next - wuite often I will do a roast chicken or even a leg of lamb and it feeds us for days).

Fried onion bacon and whatever green veg you have lying around mixes with cream cheese to make a sauce for pasta is super quick and easy.

In an emergency we use fresh pasta (ravioli etc) and just serve with pesto. I cook frozen peas or corn with the pasta to add some veg.

AtleastitsnotMonday Mon 05-Sep-16 21:46:22

Omelettes and frittata's
Quesadilla's
Cous cous with chicken and veg stirred through (marinate and cook chicken chicken breast chunks the night before or use ready cooked)

MunchCrunch01 Mon 05-Sep-16 21:48:53

Risotto is way to re heat with some pre cooked chicken

littlem133 Tue 06-Sep-16 11:24:12

Wow. Loads of suggestions! Thank you. This thread has made me realise that my lads are little fusspots! They won't eat jacket potatoes and stir fry for a start. Maybe I need to keep trying and eventually they'll change their minds!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now