Are there any healthier alternatives to Chicken or Beef "Stock cubes"

(10 Posts)
Freddieready Tue 23-Aug-16 20:41:56

I have been looking at the ingredients of the typical Oxo and Knorr stock cubes and if possible I would prefer to eat something healthier. Sadly I do not have time to make fresh stock, has anyone any suggestions of either a healthier brand or any alternatives. I mainly use Chicken and Beef.

ExcuseMyEyebrows Tue 23-Aug-16 20:46:16

Reduced salt bouillon -www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/marigold-reduced-salt-organic-bouillon-powder-140g

ceeveebee Tue 23-Aug-16 20:53:09

We use Kallo organic low salt cubes - chicken, beef or vegetable

yumamumma Tue 23-Aug-16 20:55:50

You'd really need to make your own to be healthy. Kallo organic brands main ingredient is glucose syrup - this is the body's worst nightmare. Couldn't you batch cook and freeze stock OP?

PitchFork Tue 23-Aug-16 21:00:59

came to say kallo or marigold as well.
the marigold is great as salt substitute, we use it when cooking rice/pasta, sauces etc.

HairsprayQueen Tue 23-Aug-16 21:04:55

Waitrose (and therefore also Ocado) do tubs of ready made stock which don't look to have any weird ingredients in them, just stuff I'd put into homemade.

I would assume other supermarkets might too, I think I have seen tubs in tesco next to the meats but not looked at the ingredients.

Highlove Wed 24-Aug-16 15:23:01

As a PP says, only homemade is really going to be free from random crap. It's really not that much bother - ten minutes to chuck the stuff in a pan, ignore for a few hours then another ten minutes to strain it and chuck into freezer bags. I reduce mine quite hard before freezing just to avoid taking up too much freezer space - I make up agsin with hot water as I need it.

ceeveebee Wed 24-Aug-16 18:52:47

Genuine question - what's the health issue with glucose syrup?

PitchFork Wed 24-Aug-16 18:55:01

it's sugar.

ceeveebee Thu 25-Aug-16 06:41:56

I know it's sugar but "body's worst nightmare"? I'd take a small quantity of sugar vs a load of salt any day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now