Making porridge in the microwave

(16 Posts)
PollysPoppy Tue 23-Aug-16 16:42:08

Does it get as creamy as that which is made on the stove? If so, what's the trick please? Having just experienced overnight oats (uncooked) this morning and realised I won't have time to make it in a saucepan once children are back at school, I need to perfect a microwave version!

Thanks.

4merlyknownasSHD Tue 23-Aug-16 16:43:57

I have never done it in the microwave, but it only takes 5 minutes on the stove surely?

Gatekeeper Tue 23-Aug-16 16:46:14

I always do mine microwave, stir in the milk, cook on high for 2 mins, stir and then cook another minute.

EnquiringMingeWantsToKnow Tue 23-Aug-16 16:48:04

I think it's 2 minutes, stir, two minutes (depending on quantity of course). The big advantage is that it saves on washing up and stirring.

SusannahD Tue 23-Aug-16 16:50:29

I microwave 2 mins stir another minute and it's lovely and creamy

Chiliprepper Tue 23-Aug-16 16:51:37

Second the two minutes-stir-two minutes-stir method if doing from uncooked oats in the microwave. I do mine in the fridge overnight though, a big bowl to last a couple of days which I scoop into single serving tubs and blast in the microwave at work for about 90 seconds, very creamy and quick!

PollysPoppy Tue 23-Aug-16 16:57:41

Thanks ... yes, it's standing stirring and then washing up which takes the extra few minutes - and Imreally don't have that extra 5-10 mins in the mornings as school bus runs start early!

Will try that tomorrow - I tend to soak overnight anyway so that helps too.

Thanks again

EnquiringMingeWantsToKnow Tue 23-Aug-16 17:53:50

For your first time I'd recommend 2 minutes, stir, thirty seconds, stir, thirty seconds, stir, thirty seconds, stir, repeat until clearly cooked. That way you'll learn what works for your machine and your quantity without a messy learning curve.

MERLYPUSSEDOFF Tue 23-Aug-16 18:01:31

When you make your 1st cuppa, pour boiling water over the oats. I add milk powder after.
1 part oats
2 parts liquid
3 mins micro

lljkk Tue 23-Aug-16 18:11:41

I can't get it very creamy in microwave... I usually prefer it more solid so that's fine by me.

NotCitrus Tue 23-Aug-16 18:47:45

I just use more milk, so about 1 cm above the oats, 2 min in microwave, eat. Creamy even with skimmed milk, but not the slimy consistency of boiled porridge.

PollysPoppy Wed 24-Aug-16 09:42:02

Ugh .. it was gloop with a texture of wallpaper paste confused. I used the same quantities as for stove top - 40g oats to 200mls almond milk. Wonder whether I gave it too long (2mins, stir, 2 mins) or whether it needs more liquid if microwaved? It tasted different too! Any suggestions please?

MrsJoeyMaynard Wed 24-Aug-16 09:49:34

Can't comment on the difference between microwave porridge and stove top porridge, as I only ever do it in the microwave.

I usually do approx 50g oats to approx 150ml - 200 ml milk, microwave 1 min then stir, microwave 1 min then stir, then microwave for a final 1 min. I usually check consistency and add a bit of extra milk / oats if needed at the last minute.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Wed 24-Aug-16 09:54:57

It isn't as lush and creamy when you make it in the microwave, but unless you're making for more than one person, there's no mileage in doing it on the stove... Just stir it really well halfway through cooking.

Janek Wed 24-Aug-16 09:56:43

When time is short we make our porridge the night before on the stove, then just add a bit of milk and heat it through in the morning. This is partly because we like to leave it to cool/thicken a bit before eating it, and this is what takes the time ime

(I also find it is easier to wash a porridge pot that has been soaking all day than one that has just been used...)

lljkk Thu 25-Aug-16 11:47:05

almond milk is going to cook a lot different in a microwave, I suspect. The uneven heating comes into it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now