How do I cook this in a slow cooker?

(9 Posts)
merchantbanker Tue 16-Aug-16 14:19:02

I've never used a slow cooker before!

I want to make a lamb dish. It's onions and lamb and olives and stuff with a bottle of red wine thrown in. Usually I'd bring it to the boil on the hob then slow cook in the oven for two hours.

Do I just chuck it in and leave it? Thankful for your slow cooker wisdom!

iamtheurbanspacemanbaby Tue 16-Aug-16 14:20:12

You can just chuck it all in. I prefer to brown onions and meat first but that's a personal preference.

merchantbanker Tue 16-Aug-16 14:23:28

Ok thanks

The recipe calls for caramelised onions so I've got a jar of them which don't need browning smile

How long should I do it for?

Seeline Tue 16-Aug-16 14:31:28

You won't need as much liquid as you would for hob/oven cooking (as long as you don't keep taking the lid off to check things!!)
What sort of lamb - whole joint/chops/diced?

merchantbanker Tue 16-Aug-16 14:33:58

It's diced lamb leg. Nearly a kilo.

InScotlandwetrust Tue 16-Aug-16 14:43:05

When I'm cooking lambe I usually brown it 1st so most of the date can be drained off that way it doesn't ruin the sauce.

iamtheurbanspacemanbaby Tue 16-Aug-16 15:10:57

http://lifehacker.com/make-almost-any-recipe-work-in-a-slow-cooker-with-this-1593228858 I always go for longer end cooking times for meat because I like it falling apart as soon as you rock it.

merchantbanker Wed 17-Aug-16 17:51:27

I have another question!

Can I brown the lamb tonight and chuck in with all the ingredients to turn it on in the morning or will I get food poisoning?

meowli Wed 17-Aug-16 17:56:41

If you brown it, let it cool down, then put it in the fridge overnight, I'm sure it will be fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now