Kitchen hygene, how often do you change your Tea Towels and Pot Scrubber?

(13 Posts)
Freddieready Wed 10-Aug-16 10:28:56

Maybe I am being a bit paranoid about hygiene but I just wondered what other people do with regards to replacing or changing their Pan & Pot Scrubber, Tea Towels and Sink Dishcloths.
When I think about it there must be so many germs on all the above if they are not changed or bleached before each use. Is using yesterdays pot scrubber or any of the other items without constant bleaching in any was a health hazard?
Don't ask me why I suddenly thought this may be an issue!!
What do you all think?

yomellamoHelly Wed 10-Aug-16 10:32:27

Tea towels are pretty much every day. Same for any dishcloths. Sponges get microwaved every day and binned when the top starts looking scabby (every week - 2 weeks).

Shannaratiger Wed 10-Aug-16 10:32:32

I wash the hand, tea towel, dish and side cloth everyday. The pan scourer when it looks like it needs changing.

dementedpixie Wed 10-Aug-16 10:36:56

Tea towels when they get wet so probably daily changed. I don't use cloths for dishes. Throw out the scourer sponge thing when it's on it's last legs. I don't bleach any of them.

nilbyname Wed 10-Aug-16 10:39:29

Tea towel- daily
Cloths are for surfaces and probably every other day
Pot scrubber- every 2 weeks

We have a dishwasher though so those things aren't in heavy rotation

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Wed 10-Aug-16 10:42:53

Not often enough. DH Iain charge of kitchen cleaning and if left to his own devices would probably use the same germ-ridden sponge for weeks. I change it whenever I remember to and keep suggesting he takes a new one out every day (there are plenty in the cupboard).

BettyOBarley Wed 10-Aug-16 10:49:09

Tea towels every day usually

Pot scourer after a few uses but we have a dishwasher so not used often

AnthonyPandy Wed 10-Aug-16 10:52:48

Tea towels go in 60 degree wash when they are wet/dirty, which is usually daily, square worktop sponges get 60 degree wash or a soak in baby sterilising fluid with the green scourers.

AnthonyPandy Wed 10-Aug-16 10:53:40

And as they are all clean, they get thrown away when they are shabby and ripped.

headinhands Wed 10-Aug-16 10:56:31

Cloths and tea towels get used once then washed at 60 with Dettol laundry cleanser. Steel wool pot scrubber goes in dishwasher every few days.

redhat Wed 10-Aug-16 10:56:45

dishcloth and tea towels every day. brush thingy goes into the dishwasher every couple of days.

We have a double drawer dishwasher which is on every day.

Pinkheart5915 Wed 10-Aug-16 17:21:18

Tea towel - Everyday sometimes twice

Sponge and cloth about once a week

I have never bleached either

CaitAgusMadra Wed 10-Aug-16 20:47:34

Can someone tell me more about microwaving the sponges? Do you put them in wet, for how long etc...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now