Real Gravy

(7 Posts)
Statelychangers Wed 03-Aug-16 20:00:32

I'm becoming quick addicted to roasts but I have yet to develop a knack for gravy.
How do you make yours - I'm never happy with the result, have tried various additions but never bisto.

Blondie1984 Wed 03-Aug-16 21:21:23

I always do my roasts in a tin that can be used on the hob as well as in the oven then, when the roast comes out, I take the meat out of the tin and leave it to rest, then to the juices I add about a dessertspoon of flour and give the tin a really scrape to get all of the good bits that might be stuck off - then i add a splash of vegetable cooking water and leave it to thicken.
Occasionally i might add a bit of Bisto but not very often....

Highlove Wed 03-Aug-16 21:23:12

Google Jamie's consistently good gravy...it has turned me from a gravy failure to an expert.

Minimammoth Wed 03-Aug-16 21:25:31

I do pretty much as blonde describes. Mix some of the fat from the meat with flour to make a roux add juices until smooth . My secret ingredient is Uncle Roy's gravy salt. Add a sprinkle to the gravy, season with pepper. Delish. My gravy is renouned in our family, my one triumph.

Minimammoth Wed 03-Aug-16 21:27:23

Link to Uncle Roy's www.uncleroys.co.uk/gravy-salts.html

HallaWalla Wed 03-Aug-16 21:44:15

Really easy.

Meat juices into saucepan, whisk in tablespoon of flour, add kalo organic stock cube and water, simmer.

Voila!

Statelychangers Thu 04-Aug-16 19:14:15

Interesting - I've been adding all sorts of nonsense to my gravies to strengthen the flavour - red/white wine, cider, orange juice, Lea & Perrins, Balsamic vinegar, homemade stock and all you guys are just reducing the meat juices with stock, I'm going to try the less is more approach next! Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now