Make my vegetables interesting!

(11 Posts)
BeJayKayven Wed 03-Aug-16 16:14:42

I have no imagination or creativity and we are all so fed up of plain boiled or steamed veg. I have carrots, fine beans, broccoli, asparagus and new potatoes in the fridge, sweet corn, spinach and peas in the freezer - how can I jazz them up in a healthy way?

Only1BabyPigeon Wed 03-Aug-16 16:18:42

Sprinkle some steak/chicken/Cajun seasoning on to them when theyrecooked

YelloDraw Wed 03-Aug-16 16:28:14

What are you having with them?

I'm a fan of roasted veg, and middle eastern and Asian flavours so I might go for something like:
- Sumac roasted green beans
- Roasted broccoli with sesame
- Asparagus wrapped in parma ham with poached duck egg
- New potatoes and peas smashed up a little bit with loads of mint and parsley and some butter
- use the carrots in HFW Asian coleslaw
- Carrots roasted with honey and thyme
- Make the spinach into a sankropikinata

timelytess Wed 03-Aug-16 16:34:16

You could always have your photo taken with them, like this chap. He must love his onions.
luka bloom

rumbelina Wed 03-Aug-16 16:38:07

Stir fry them with ginger, sesame oil and soy.

BeJayKayven Wed 03-Aug-16 17:32:35

Thank you all for the ideas 🙂
timelytess 👍, great onions

Allalonenow Wed 03-Aug-16 17:46:44

For the green beans, make a small amount of tomato sauce with onions and garlic and herbs. Cook the beans as normal but before serving, stir through with the tomato sauce ~ green beans a la Greque.

For the carrots, grate them, put into a bowl with a teaspoon or two of whole grain mustard and a knob of butter. Microwave for two minutes, give a good stir, cook for another minute if needed.

Asparagus, steam and serve with lemon mayonnaise, or roast with whole unpeeled garlic cloves. The cooked garlic is a delicious soft paste.

New potatoes, roast whole with chunks of onion and some herbs.

Brocolli, make brocolli gratin with cheese sauce.

BeJayKayven Wed 03-Aug-16 19:30:49

Those sound just what I like to eat (but would never think of cooking)

Allalonenow Wed 03-Aug-16 21:37:23

Well get rattling those pots and pans! wine

PinkyPlumet Thu 04-Aug-16 12:44:50

Sprinkle with aromat. It's delicious!

Sammysquiz Thu 04-Aug-16 14:24:30

There's a Hugh Fearnley-Whatshisname book called Veg Everyday which is great for ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now