HELP! My raspberry curd has not thickened. (scintillating)

(17 Posts)
FreezerBird Fri 22-Jul-16 18:21:51

Made raspberry curd this afternoon - have done so many times and all seemed fine. Into a sterilised jar, into the fridge. Check back later and it's still more a thick liquid than a good curd consistency.

As I see it my options are:
1. Call it raspberry sauce (will be used up tomorrow on meringues and cream). Uncooked egg though?
2. Reheat until thickened. Will this kill people?
3. Chuck it. Please no.

Cast your votes below please!

Pestilence13610 Fri 22-Jul-16 18:24:35

Reheating until thickened should kill nobody, might make your wrist hurt though. Careful not to let it catch.

IAmcuriousyellow Fri 22-Jul-16 18:25:45

I would (2) and if no luck (1). I find curds a bit nerve wracking generally, sometimes they don't thicken for ages and then go to scramble, but in that case I would push it through a sieve and go back to (1). It will be lush whatever you do I think.

derxa Fri 22-Jul-16 18:27:56

Thread title hilarious grin

derxa Fri 22-Jul-16 18:29:24

It is cooked though. Just has too much liquid.

FreezerBird Fri 22-Jul-16 20:09:55

Have reheated and it seems thicker. Time will tell.

Will report back on ultimate curd consistency and death toll.

derxa Fri 22-Jul-16 20:11:25

Phew crisis averted! grin

PotteringAlong Fri 22-Jul-16 20:14:20

Ooh, can I have your recipe please?

MsHaveNaiceHam Fri 22-Jul-16 20:20:39

<droooooool>

recipe?

Please? grin

FreezerBird Sat 23-Jul-16 12:01:05

Certainly! I'll post it later when I'm on he Big Computer not this stupid tablet with it's stupid autocorrect.

This morning's curd check reveals a nice set with a hint of wibble.

PotteringAlong Sat 23-Jul-16 13:46:42

Thank you grin

Glad re-heating worked.

FreezerBird Sat 23-Jul-16 20:51:54

I'm back, with recipe.

250g raspberries
2 tbsp lemon juice
115g unsalted butter
150g caster sugar
4 large egg yolks and 1 large whole egg

Puree raspberries with lemon juice. Sieve to get rid of pips (some always sneak through with mine and it doesn't seem to matter)

Put raspberry puree, sugar and butter into pan, heat gently until butter melted and sugar dissolved.

(At this point the recipe comes over all cautious with talk of a bain-marie but I recklessly just keep it all in the pan because I LIVE ON THE EDGE)

Sieve egg yolks and egg into the raspberry mixture and cook over a gentle heat until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon. I'm not going to give a time but expect to be there for quite a while.

Into a sterilised jar and keep in the fridge. Use within a month, but it won't last that long.

Optional:* use the egg whites left over to make meringues. Serve with the curd and whipped cream.

* not in any way optional.

TeaPleaseLouise Sat 23-Jul-16 21:09:49

I saw the thread title in active and came to ask for your recipe grin thanks! It sounds lovely!

FreezerBird Sat 23-Jul-16 22:15:30

It is. It is lovely.

<thinks about tiny bit left in fridge. restrains self>

JedRambosteen Sat 23-Jul-16 22:20:05

2 tbsp of lemon juice? That may be your problem, if the raspberries are low in pectin. I always put a bit more in than it says.

My all time fave is blackcurrant and vanilla curd, though. Food of the Gods!

FreezerBird Sat 23-Jul-16 22:31:37

Curds are thickened by the eggs rather than pectin though aren't they?

PotteringAlong Sun 24-Jul-16 07:20:37

Right, that sounds amazing. I'm going to make some this afternoon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now