I have a lactose-intolerant pescatarian coming to dinner!

(20 Posts)
Raines100 Tue 19-Jul-16 20:50:26

It's an adult, so fish fingers, chips and peas are out!
I'd like to cook something we can all eat together. We like fish and seafood. It's the non-dairy that's causing me the trouble! No idea if he likes spicy stuff, but apparently he's not a huge fan of pasta. confused
Suggestions greatly appreciated! smile

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 19-Jul-16 20:51:23

Fish curry (or any curry)? Watch the naan though - most have milk in

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 19-Jul-16 20:52:05

Or just have a Google for vegan versions if your favourite meals.

JemimaMuddledUp Tue 19-Jul-16 20:52:18

Does he use lactofree milk? If he does you can cook with that (and cream and cheese) just as you would ordinary milk.

Jenijena Tue 19-Jul-16 20:53:51

What about a teriyaki salmon with interesting rice?

Jenijena Tue 19-Jul-16 20:54:09

Or prawn curry

Raines100 Tue 19-Jul-16 21:24:49

Thanks for the help, everyone. Didn't know there was such thing as lactofree cream or cheese, and had no idea naans had milk in them!
Will have to ask if spice is okay, I think, as that seems to be the easiest thing.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Tue 19-Jul-16 21:44:42

I like fish cooked in a roasting bag (the type you roast a chicken in) with olive oil and herbs.

It goes really well with garlic potatoes. Boil the potatoes with 8 whole cloves of garlic, slightly crush the cloves first, until the potatoes are slightly soft but not fully cooked. In a roasting dish mix a generous amount of olive oil with two finely chopped cloves of garlic and sprigs of sage. Heat up the oil and then add the potatoes. Coat the potatoes in the oil and press down a little to make the edges crumbly. Roast until crispy.

BabyGanoush Tue 19-Jul-16 21:48:19

Thai food is almost always dairy free (coconut milk!)

You don't need to cook fish, you can do veggie.

Or soup

Stirfry with rice

SuburbanRhonda Tue 19-Jul-16 21:53:28

Can your guest suggest some things he will eat or has cooked for others?

Allalonenow Tue 19-Jul-16 21:54:18

Paella with seafood but no chicken.
Fish stew served with rice.
Caponata served with rice.

GirlWithTheLionHeart Tue 19-Jul-16 21:54:40

Fish with roasted tomatoes rice and salad

elQuintoConyo Tue 19-Jul-16 21:56:25

Banana fritters

Ditsy4 Tue 19-Jul-16 22:03:31

Asparagus and poached egg, hollandaise sauce using non dairy.
Sea bass with Mediterranean sauce. Onions, tomatoes, herbs.
New potatoes
French beans
Sainsbury has non dairy ice cream. Or make a lovely tropical fruit salad.

Ditsy4 Tue 19-Jul-16 22:06:06

Almond Dream salted caramel ice cream.
Just had this on Thursday yummy.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee Wed 20-Jul-16 08:20:41

I've made this many times and it's great

lickingtheplateagain.wordpress.com/2013/03/29/sicilian-style-fish-stew/

CountingdowntoFriday Wed 20-Jul-16 12:45:45

We had blacken cod with mango salsa, green salad and sweet potato wedges last night. It was fab.

lljkk Wed 20-Jul-16 13:02:05

Roast potatoes, steamed veg, grilled white fish.
Olive oil drizzle over those. Sorted.

Citizenerased123 Tue 26-Jul-16 21:46:31

Steamed fish with ginger and spring onion: either use a whole sea bass or fillets if you're not so keen on dealing with bones, put some sliced ginger and spring onions inside the fish and over and under it, then sprinkle a little soy sauce over the top and pepper then either steam over a pan of water or wrap it in foil and bake in the oven (from memory about 20 mins for a whole fish and 8-10 mins for fillets at 200 degrees centigrade). Serve with rice and green vegetables and sprinkle some sesame oil over it just before you serve.

Joydgreen88 Wed 27-Jul-16 12:10:08

Med fish - white fish fillets (sea bass, hake, halibut etc) score the skin, and season. Lay out foil on top of parchment paper and oil them. Thinly slice courgettes, fennel, red onion, halved cherry toms and some olives, place the fish on top. Glug in a bit of white wine. Wrap up the bags, not too tightly so they can steam. Serve with orzo pasta cooked in veg stock, with lemon and capers to finish it. This is my favourite quick and fancyish dinner!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now