Easy lunch to make for foodie friend tomorrow?

(13 Posts)
SortItAhhht Fri 15-Jul-16 10:26:20

I've got a friend visiting from overseas for lunch tomorrow. Need to throw together something fairly easy that isn't just bread/cheese/cold meats/salads (which i have done the last few times she has visited and always ends up costing a fortune as I panic buy posh bits grin).

Would like a nice informal lunch idea, pretty please!

FauxFox Fri 15-Jul-16 10:34:54

Get a ready rolled sheet of Puff Pastry and bake it with sliced tomatoes/thin sliced courgettes/brie/olives etc on top and serve with salad?

Any combo of toppings is yummy tbh.

Blondie1984 Fri 15-Jul-16 16:54:05

Smoked salmon and asparagus Frittata ( serve either hot or cold) with a green salad on the side

Justasjolly Fri 15-Jul-16 19:23:29

How about going Mexican? Quesadilla's, nachos a chopped Mexican salad and a bean salad. Salsa and guacamole. Unless of course your guest is from Mexico, in which case I'd go for quiche and salad!

Chiliprepper Fri 15-Jul-16 19:26:55

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5890/hotsmoked-salmon-salad-with-a-chilli-lemon-dressin

gastropod Fri 15-Jul-16 19:37:59

Classic salade niçoise with seared tuna is easy and delicious (unless you don't want to do salad at all?). Or a classic caesar with grilled chicken. When it's done properly (= the right kind of lettuce, and the proper dressing) it's just perfect.

Or a simple but carefully put together pasta dish? Just some great quality Italian made pasta, a couple of key ingredients (e.g. fresh salmon, fresh peas & cream; leek and taleggio cheese; italian sausage and roast tomates; sautéed wild mushrooms and garlic...), good olive oil and you're done.

GinThief Fri 15-Jul-16 19:39:53

Tray of roasted veg, add couscous once cooked. Then grill halloumi just before eating...yummy!

PhoenixReisling Fri 15-Jul-16 19:40:49

Wrap Parma ham/prosciutto around asparagus and bake in the oven.

Then, poach eggs and toast some sourdough bread.

When all cooked, plate up and enjoy.

ggirl Fri 15-Jul-16 19:42:21

I know this is a salad but it's my fav

grapes and baby toms cut in half
bacon lardons
baby new potatoes but in half
tinned artichokes chopped
fresh basil
drizzled oil from the artichoke jar
salt and pepper

served on toasted bread of some posh sort

ggirl Fri 15-Jul-16 19:42:48

and forgot the main ingredient
feta cheese

Normandy144 Fri 15-Jul-16 19:44:12

A Greek salad and serve with griddled chicken. Marinate the chicken in lemon juice & zest, crushed garlic, oregano and olive oil for a few hours or overnight. Buy some hummus, taramasalata and tzatziki and decant into bowls. Serve with toasted pitta bread and some nice mixed olives.

Hoppinggreen Fri 15-Jul-16 20:53:32

Packet of ready cooked lentils
Feta cheese
Posh tomatoes
Cucumber
Mint
Lemon juice
Garlic
Salt and pepper
Chargriddled lamb ( or chicken if you prefer)
Lovely warm salad, serve with flatbread

ppeatfruit Sat 16-Jul-16 13:31:47

Avocado cold soup is lovely and dead easy with a stick blender. Especially if the weather's hot. Serve it with good bread and maybe steamed cold salmon with a salad nicoise. You can use the avocado soup recipe made richer for a dressing for the salmon instead of a starter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now