Daily Invention Test (Masterchef Stylie)

(12 Posts)
JontyDoggle37 Sat 09-Jul-16 14:41:37

I'm on a mission in the next two weeks to use up everything in the freezer so I can finally defrost it.🙄 I only bought bare essentials this week, to force myself to use things up. I'm cooking for myself, DH DD (1). I do packed lunches for DH and fresh cooked lunches for myself and DS every day. Thought I might make the tricky task a bit more fun by doing a kind of food diary of it on here, with pics of what I come up with. Anyone else up for some inventiveness?

cdtaylornats Sat 09-Jul-16 14:43:53

I sometimes do an invention test, or as I like to call it "too lazy to go shopping".

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 09-Jul-16 14:50:31

yes...we call that Freezer Bingo. grin

NapQueen Sat 09-Jul-16 14:51:17

Mine is "what can I put with rice?"

JontyDoggle37 Sat 09-Jul-16 15:50:44

I've just found a massive ball of frozen marzipan! What on earth am I going to do with that?!?!
Lol at Freezer Bingo 😂

Sprintingforthefinnish Sat 09-Jul-16 17:39:25

Peach and Marzipan tart!

JontyDoggle37 Sat 09-Jul-16 19:14:31

Ooh thank you - no peaches here, but lots of raspberries, maybe I could substitute?
Dinner was just for DS and I as DH out, so we had pasta with bacon, mushroom, onion, black pepper, chilli and a soft cheese 'sauce'. (My one year old DS is a chilli/curry freak, probably because I ate loads through pregnancy grin).
Dessert was banana 'ice cream', basically froZen banana blended with a little whole milk - every time DS doesn't finish his banana I Bing the rest in the freezer and then make banana ice cream with it - I have quite a banana glut in there at the moment!

I invented dinner tonight. We had baked sweet potatoes, and then I made a kind of Caribbean-esque vegetable dish to go with it - onions, peppers, garlic, sweetcorn, kidney beans, chilli, thyme, jerk seasoning and coconut milk. It was really lovely - will definitely make it again.

JontyDoggle37 Sat 09-Jul-16 20:15:10

Remus I've got sweet potato, kidney beans and coconut milk in the cupboard, I can give that a go this week (although it won't reduce the freezer by much lol)

elephantoverthehill Sat 09-Jul-16 20:21:50

I just google 3 ingredients I have, you used to be able to do it on the BBC website, invariably a recipe pops up. There were ingredients left over from a school thing yesterday - spinach, cream cheese and spring onions, I made a really lovely pasta recipe from google with those.

Frozen sweetcorn maybe?
In fact, I imagine that any frozen vege would be fine in it.

JontyDoggle37 Sun 10-Jul-16 08:08:10

Morning. Plan for today is as follows: - using up fish fingers for DS lunch, with frozen peas and making fresh Minestrone soup with carrots, frozen peas, celery, pasta etc for DH and I. Then we've got in-laws and an Aunt round for dinner, so Using up some frozen chicken, some chicken stock I made and froze and a chicken sauce base as well in a chicken and leek shortcrust pie, and using up a Pannetone we were given for Christmas and fresh raspberries from the garden to make a raspberry and white chocolate bread and butter pudding. Lots of cooking to do today!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now