A gripping question about halloumi

(18 Posts)
INeedNewShoes Fri 08-Jul-16 08:49:38

I love halloumi but I've only ever eaten it hot, straight after cooking.

I'd like to take halloumi for my picnic lunch today in a salad.

If I fry it now, let it cool and then add it to the salad, will it still be nice to eat at lunchtime?

PurpleDaisies Fri 08-Jul-16 08:50:27

Yes it will be nice, but not as delicious as hot. I wish I had halloumi in the house.

Trills Fri 08-Jul-16 08:51:31

Yes it will be nice.

branofthemist Fri 08-Jul-16 08:51:42

I prefer it hot. But do eat it cold as well. It will be fine if it's fried before hand.

I wouldn't eat it straight out of the packet with frying it all though.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 08-Jul-16 08:52:14

it's probably lovely cold....I have never had the patience to find out!

INeedNewShoes Fri 08-Jul-16 08:58:11

Brilliant! Thanks for the quick and helpful responses.

I can look forward to my lunch now without wondering about the edibleness of cold halloumi!

I made a salad with it on Wednesday - baby spinach leaves, cherry tomatoes, avocado and halloumi. Drizzled with nice balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Highly recommend this - it's so tasty!

ppeatfruit Fri 08-Jul-16 10:51:54

I don't like halloumi , hot it's too salty and cold it's like salty rubber! I 'd use feta cheese it's softer. and it's meant to be served cold.

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Fri 08-Jul-16 10:55:12

It goes squeaky when it's cold - that's what puts me off (love it straught off the bbq though)

Trills Fri 08-Jul-16 11:01:06

I love it squeaky

dudsville Fri 08-Jul-16 11:02:41

I like it cold (prefer it hot) but it is a stonger salty flavour that way so I don't have as much of it.

INeedNewShoes Fri 08-Jul-16 11:17:19

No one will ever convince me that feta is better than halloumi. You have to embrace the squeak!

contortionist Fri 08-Jul-16 11:24:46

Cold halloumi is great! A bit of lemon juice is a great addition.

bilbodog Fri 08-Jul-16 12:56:30

I like to cube it and fry till coloured and then toss is come sesame seeds for a couple of minutes - gives a great toasty, nutty flavour.

ppeatfruit Fri 08-Jul-16 14:30:13

TBH I don't like eating great lumps of salt, I'm trying to cut down on the palate numbing qualities of too much salt, so I can take or leave it . (preferably leave it grin ). If I'm going to eat greek cheese I much prefer sheeps' feta.

UnGoogleable Sat 09-Jul-16 14:09:18

I bloody love Halloumi - in fact, I say that out loud every time I eat it!

I like to grill it until browned and put them on top of a veggie burger. Mmmm. Our local cafe adds it to their full veggie breakfast, so you get the usual veg sausages, eggs, beans, and a couple of slabs of fried halloumi. It's lush.

I'd eat it cooked and cold, no problem.

bruffin Sat 09-Jul-16 14:16:07

It goes squeaky when it's cold - that's what puts me off (love it straught off the bbq though) thats after its been cooked, it is not squeaky if you dont cook it first.

I was bought up on halloumi back in the 60s, we used to have vats of homemade halloumi sent over from Cyprus back then. It is lovely in a cucumber, tomato and coriander salad or just with water melon on a hot day.
If you go to a turkish shop you can get it in various stages of hardness. The hardest is used like Parmesan ie grated or in cooking which also tends to be saltier. Less matured halloumi is better for eating uncooked.

DrownedGirl Sun 10-Jul-16 22:17:14

If you find it too salty, slice it and soak in water for a bit then dry and cook

maisybobbins Sun 10-Jul-16 23:28:24

I most totally definately going to try your halloumi avocado salad. Oh yesssssss. Thanks newshoes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now