So many strawberries!!!

(12 Posts)
OliveOrTwist Sun 03-Jul-16 21:08:09

We went strawberry picking yesterday. Obviously got carried away with the fresh deliciousness and got loads, thinking they would last the week. It turns out they don't. I've already had to pick out a mouldy one and they are very ripe. I'm not sure they'll last through to tomorrow even in the fridge. So, I now have tonnes of strawberries that need using ASAP, any clever ideas on what to do with them to save wasting them? I'm loathed to throw them away. Jam isn't an option as I have no sugar.

TheSpottedZebra Sun 03-Jul-16 21:09:31

Freeze them?
Then you can make jam from them later, or use them direct from frozen in smoothies etc

LineyReborn Sun 03-Jul-16 21:10:04

Can you get sugar tomorrow? Chop them and freeze them.

Tartyflette Sun 03-Jul-16 21:16:21

frozen strawberries are just sad mushy things.. How about puréeing them and freezing the purée? Or it will keep overnight in the fridge. You can add sugar later if needed. You can use the puree over ice cream as well as a sauce for other fruit, or you can defrost it, add sugar syrup and refreeze as sorbet/granita.

TheSpottedZebra Sun 03-Jul-16 21:23:06

Well it doesn't matter if they're mushy, if you're going to boil them up and jam them, or just shove them straight in the blender and puree them in a smoothie, does it?

bookbook Sun 03-Jul-16 21:25:53

I make strawberry ice lollies. Add either thick yoghurt/marscapone/whipped cream blend , Sweeten with honey to taste . Freeze

OliveOrTwist Sun 03-Jul-16 21:28:29

Strawberry sauce, I'm on it. I have honey to sweeten not that they need much. I think I will slice some up and freeze to make into jam as seems like they will be okay for this. I've also just thought that frozen strawberry slices might be rather tasty with pimms. Maybe I could make some fresh mint ice cubes as another experiment.... smile

Has anyone ever tried strawberry juice? I don't have a smoothie maker but I do have a juicer.

OliveOrTwist Sun 03-Jul-16 21:30:41

Cross posted on the strawberry lollies. They sound divine!! I have no moulds or sticks but perhaps if I make the mixture it will keep in the fridge overnight so I can grab some first thing. I need to try these, thanks for the excellent suggestion.

bookbook Sun 03-Jul-16 21:34:51

My DGS loves them smile

bookbook Sun 03-Jul-16 21:36:31

You can make them with custard as well smile

karmakameleon Sun 03-Jul-16 21:40:54

We made this strawberry milk yesterday. It was gorgeous.

smittenkitchen.com/blog/2016/06/strawberry-milk/

frangipani13 Sun 03-Jul-16 21:49:31

I have the same issue DH came home with 4 large punnets as they were reduced to 2p each but they have today's date. Smitten Kitchen also have a gorgeous strawberry cake recipe - basic vanilla sponge with fresh strawbs pushed in the top before baking. Absolutely gorgeous but vv moreish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now