Spelt flour in cakes

(3 Posts)
Yukduck Sun 29-May-16 21:39:22

I am after some advice. I love making cakes. I want to use spelt flour as I think it will be better for us and I am into healthy eating.
I made a Victoria sponge using plain spelt flour, put a teaspoon of Bicarb of Soda and a teaspoon of Cream of Tartar into the mix and the result was a lovely fluffy sponge texture, BUT it was so disgustingly bicarby in taste that I threw it away as inedible! It tasted bitter, salty and yuk all down to the raising agent I used.
Ok, so I make excellent cakes using normal SR flour, so why doesn't it work with plain spelt flour and raising agent added?
Does anyone have a good recipe for a nice cake using spelt flour that I can try?

NannyMarmalade Mon 30-May-16 07:34:09

The BBC Food website says:
'You can make your own baking powder by combining 15ml/1tbsp bicarbonate of soda with 30ml/2tbsp cream of tartar. Measure carefully as too much or too little can upset a recipe’s balance.'

Maybe you had the wrong proportion.
Incidentally spelt makes a lovely pastry.

Yukduck Mon 30-May-16 10:27:46

Thankyou Nannymarmalade. It must have been the proportions. I think pastry is the way to go.

I can make things like jam tarts, lemon meringue pie and shortbread.
I have always made flapjacks so we will never starve if I don't make sponges!!

I like a full cake tin for us and visitors!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now