Vegetarians-what are your go to everyday dinners?

(50 Posts)
DoesMyMarthaCliffLookBigInThis Sat 28-May-16 16:59:44

We aren't veggies but the only meat my OH eats is chicken so we eat vegetarian meals about 75% of the time. Our usuals are:
Lentil bolognese
Lentil enchiladas
Lentil lasagne/shepherds pie
Bean chilli
Chickpea curry
Lentil curry
Mushroom or squash risotto

I'm looking to mix things up a bit. Inspire e please! grin

Dixxie Sat 28-May-16 17:11:26

We do lots of stir fries and oriental dishes... Essentials are... Ginger, garlic, chilli, Chinese 5-spice, Thai green curry paste, tamarind, sweet chilli sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce in moderation (salty). Just experiment with flavours or look up a few recipes... You can whip anything up then!

As a basic start, try mushrooms (either button or big ones cut into quarters) with broccoli and onion (again cut into big pieces), if you feel like it add baby sweetcorn or water chestnuts for crunch. Stir fry with garlic, ginger, chilli (if you like it), maybe a bit of fish sauce or soy. Sesame oil sprinkled on top at the end (never heat it as it isn't stable at high temperatures) adds a tasty edge. Serve with noodles or rice. We sprinkle either toasted cashews or pumpkin seeds on top too, for nutrition and crunch.

Cathpot Sat 28-May-16 17:14:21

I love lentils but they don't sit well with me so I can't use them much Ditto chickpeas. Instead I use paneer for curry- fry it to give it a bit of crispy texture and then chuck it in whatever type of curry you like. I like roasted cauliflower with tahini sauce, and Im not actually veggie as I eat fish so there are lots of choices there. You can make burgers from cooked beans mashed and mixed with onion etc and fried. I cook for a family of meat eaters so I might chuck in some veggie sausages and eat the rest of the vegetables were having. There is a BBC veggie food magazine that has nice things in for inspiration.

PurpleDaisies Sat 28-May-16 17:14:35

Bbc good food Greek style pie is lovely.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4540/crispy-greekstyle-pie-

We also have quite a lot of boys cous with roasted veg and yoghurt type things.

PurpleDaisies Sat 28-May-16 17:14:50

Boys cous?? Cous cous.

exexpat Sat 28-May-16 17:18:30

Lots of stir fries, with various kinds of tofu or egg as the protein element, plus rice or noodles.
Couscous with tagine-style stews usually with chickpeas, sometimes just veg with falafel on the side.
Fried halloumi with roast veg.
Vegetarian paella (can include cashews for protein).
Veggie kebabs with smoked or marinated tofu.

In the last week or two we've had:

haloumi and vege kebabs with spiced rice
Moroccan style chickpeas with salad and bread
Dhal with rice and salad
Qasadillas stuffed with butternut squash and black beans, with mango salasa
Jacket potatoes with quiche and salad
Veggie sausages, Yorkies, roast potatoes and vege
Egg and chips
Mushroom pasta
Falafals with Greek salad, flatbreads and tsatziki

Elllicam Sat 28-May-16 17:25:03

Do you eat quorn? We have; quorn and veg stir fry with cashews (could ditch the quorn), quorn roast with roast veg and yorkshires, Spanish omelette and sweet potato fries and salad, Jamie's courgette frittata, lots of curries, lasagna, fajitas with quorn chicken, chimichangas with black beans, veggie chilli.

Elllicam Sat 28-May-16 17:25:29

We eat a lot of quorn

freshprincess Sat 28-May-16 17:32:08

Jacket potatoes with cheese and coleslaw. Or cheese and beans.

franke Sat 28-May-16 17:37:26

Our go to recipe from Hugh FW veg book is (surprisingly) polenta with tomato sauce - polenta with some herbs and cheddar cheese, sliced and then fried in olive oil and served with a simple tomato sauce (tinned toms simmered with bayleaf and sliced garlic).

Yesterday we had veg on the bbq with a sort of aubergine dip (just whack a whole aubergine on the bbq then mash with garlic, lemon, coriander, whatever), tzatziki, bread and a big leafy salad.

I have a quite traditional indian cook book and the side dishes, which tend to be veg, are good with dhal/chickpea curries.

defineme Sat 28-May-16 17:42:33

We have traditional meals that happen to be vegetarian such as jacket potatoes, omlettes, macaroni cheese, vegetable and barley soup, pasta with tomato based sauce and quiche.
Less traditional would be greek spinach and filo pie, different curry like vegetable biriani, channa dahl, saag aloo.

Dd2 (19) has just gone veggie (again!) and discovered Quorn nuggets. Probably not at all good for one, but surprisingly tasty and I say that as somebody who doesn't really like Quorn!

useyourimagination Sat 28-May-16 18:14:52

Lots of pasta and curries to a lesser extent.

Roasted/caramelised onion tart with mushrooms. Really quick and easy. I always have a pack of ready made pastry in the fridge.

DH loves gardening so we also have fresh salad all year round.

DoesMyMarthaCliffLookBigInThis Sat 28-May-16 18:32:39

Ooh thanks everyone, some amazing sounding recipes here grin That filo pie looks delicious!

We don't eat Quorn as it gives the both of us stomach ache but we do eat veggie sausages (non Quorn ones)

RainIsAGoodThing Sat 28-May-16 18:37:40

I made a gorgeous warm salad the other day - roasted butternut squash, kale, red onion, pomegranate seeds and feta.

I just roasted the squash for 20 mins, fried the onion and the kale for 10, mixed it together with some pomegranate seeds and olive oil and crumbled feta on top. DP (meat eater) loved it too and it's going to be one of our favourites this summer I think smile

NoahVale Sat 28-May-16 18:44:35

that sounds good rain

Dancingqueen17 Sat 28-May-16 21:02:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dancingqueen17 Sat 28-May-16 21:33:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lastqueenofscotland Sun 29-May-16 18:41:12

Spanakopita
Fried rice dishes when I'm feeling lazy
Love paneer curry
Chickpea curry
Mushroom stroganoff
Stuffed potato skins
Home made veggie pastys
Cheesy bean sausage rolls

Cornishblues Tue 31-May-16 21:01:54

Lentil bolognaise
Chickpea&veg curry
Quorn chilli
Kedgeree of basmati rice mixed with cooked onions, turmeric, chilli flakes, oyster mushrooms, peas, chopped boiled eggs, diced smoked cheese, parsley (hard boil eggs during the day to get ahead, then it's manageable).
Potato & onion tortilla
I'm always looking for more regulars!

Greengager Tue 31-May-16 21:23:00

I recommend the HFW veg every day book for some great ideas. We eat things like chilli, aubergine parmigiana, ribolita made with fennel and carrots and risottos. We also really like Buddha bowls which you assemble from bits and pieces you have lying about.

RupertPupkin Tue 31-May-16 21:26:35

Pearl barley risotto. Really fast and tasty (especially with parmesan, wine and cream!).

CaptainWarbeck Wed 01-Jun-16 12:13:45

Cornish do you have a link for that kedgeree you make? Sounds delish!

NoahVale Wed 01-Jun-16 14:03:14

i love this:
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/moroccan-haira

just delicious

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now