Olives

(10 Posts)
Dancergirl Tue 24-May-16 18:02:06

Dh and I both hate them so I never buy them.

9 year old dd has asked to try them, what's the best sort to buy? She's a very reluctant veg eater so I'm hoping for success. But they're a fruit right?

And can you buy them without the stone?

BertieBotts Tue 24-May-16 18:24:45

Does she like strong flavours like garlic and chilli? I would buy a little pot of them prepared. They normally come without stones then and they taste nicer IMO when they are smothered in stuff. I like them plain too though. You can get a pot of mixed ones and they are fun to eat with cocktail sticks.

BertieBotts Tue 24-May-16 18:25:54

Something like this:

www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Olives/Tesco_Mixed_Olives_with_Garlic_And_Chilli_140g.html?TrackingCode=121.AXuRCQNZgUOELVkJ5PxXkA

Dancergirl Tue 24-May-16 20:09:34

Thanks, she quite likes the taste of chilli so might like those!

Do green and black olives taste very different?

Cookingongas Wed 25-May-16 19:24:22

Do you have a lidl? They do fresh olives in the chilled section for 50p- get a green and black pit and let her try. Personally I'd let her try them without dressings/stuffings/marinades because I spent most of my life disliking olives only to find out that it's the marinaded type I dislike. Can eat my own body weight in undressed olives.

I find the black olives more popular with my Dc- green are sharper and saltier.

cdtaylornats Fri 27-May-16 11:40:15

If you have a local deli they usually do a selection, stuffed and unstaffed. You could also try some other things baby peppers stuffed with feta. Perhaps a summer platter with Parma ham, salami and cheese.

Hodooooooooor Fri 27-May-16 11:45:37

They do taste better with the stone left in though, pitted tend to dry out a bit. Although marinated ones can be better. If you go to a supermarket salad bar type thing you can get a selection in a little tub, and she can see what she likes.

BertieBotts Fri 27-May-16 11:54:02

Yes they do taste different, black olives are milder in flavour, green are more bitter.

I never liked them until I tried them marinated. Now I appreciate the taste I can eat them even on their own but they do taste nicer with other things, IMO.

rubybleu Sat 04-Jun-16 22:57:16

Try green Nocellara olives - they are one of the sweetest/less briny varieties.

Personally I find cheap pitted olives to be the least palatable, it's worth a few pounds to get nicer olives.

1frenchfoodie Sun 05-Jun-16 12:44:07

Good idea to get a selection from a deli. Pitted black ones have the least flavour if she wants to start gently though stone in are far better tasting imo. Kalmata (purpleish, pointy) are nice, almost meaty. I really enjoy green picholine and large green (queen?) olives are tasty too. Good luck - if she is a reluctant veg eater it must be good to hear she is interested in olives though they can be an acquired taste. My DH calls them little balls of tcp..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now