nice ways to dress a salad, without adding loads of calories.

(18 Posts)
storminabuttercup Mon 23-May-16 14:32:35

And I don't mean in a pretty frock...

I'm really trying to cut down on any extras to lose weight, but I can't bear undressed salads. I sometimes use balsamic which is fine and the lighter mayos and salad creams but would like ideas of other ways of dressing them.
Tonight it's a salad with fresh tuna so was thinking Asian style dressing but would like to avoid adding any oil if I can. Any ideas?

ClaudiaWankleman Mon 23-May-16 14:36:04

I always add grapes to any boring salad. They work very well. Don't forget adequate salt and pepper. Some guacamole could work too, although obviously avocado is an oily fruit, you could maybe substitute some roughly chopped grapefruit or orange if you wanted something light and refreshing. Tinned sweetcorn usually carries enough juice to stop salads being so dry, too.

Rinceoir Mon 23-May-16 14:37:17

Lemon juice would be nice on an Asian salad. It can be hard to make a dressing without oil, I generally just use a small amount of homemade dressing so I know exactly how much I'm taking- often oil and balsamic, or honey+mustard.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Mon 23-May-16 14:39:51

I often just spritz a lemon over salads... Or, if you can bear a tiny amount of oil, light soy, rice vinegar and a dribble of sesame oil with a spot of sriracha or wasabi if you like some heat...

shockedballoon Mon 23-May-16 14:48:02

I keep fresh basil, mint, coriander and parsley plants and chop a bit of each together and toss through a salad, adds loads of flavour and makes up for lack of dressing, tho I usually add a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime.
I love a bit of hot sauce as well every now and again.

Rinceoir Mon 23-May-16 14:50:27

The other option is some natura/Greek yoghurt with garlic/herbs/siracha. If you like creamy dressings.

TotalConfucius Mon 23-May-16 14:51:12

I actually cannot eat a salad unless it's dressed.
Am also trying to lose weight and one of my tricks is to use a very low cal mayo and add a squirt of lemon, a sprinkle of chilli flakes, a bit of cayenne and mix it all up.
There's a Spanish olive oil spray available in Tesco which is 2 calls a spray so a few sprays mixed again with some spices.
I have a mix of macadamia nuts (one of the lowest carb nuts) with a few walnuts in, and a lot of seeds, this adds interest and crunch too.
The Tesco ready to eat sprout mix (alfalfa, quinoa etc) is also a peppery addition.
Don't try the weight watchers fake Caesar dressing - it's disgusting.

storminabuttercup Mon 23-May-16 14:55:34

Oh yummy ideas thank you! I actually have coriander and lemon juice so will go for that today!

Do we think the spray olive oil would work in Greek salad? Most recipes use around 5tbsp which seems massive amounts

StrawberrytallCake Mon 23-May-16 14:58:00

lemon, lime, cider vinegar also nice, toasted pumpkin seeds, asian salad could be good with some soy sauce with chilli, ginger and garlic shredded into it.

TotalConfucius Mon 23-May-16 15:08:43

See, I don't go with a Greek salad or a Green salad. Just everything that's in the fridge and not too wilted goes in. I suppose I might call it a Surprise Salad. Or a Shock Salad. It's just a lovely great big pile of rabbit food that will eventually give me a BMI of 22.5.
Sometimes I don't even have a 'main' with it, I mash up the smallest available tin of salmon, or sardines, or peppered mackerel and plonk it on top. Or a triangle of Laughing Cow Light.
I'm hardcore, I am.

LeaveTheBastardingBastard Mon 23-May-16 15:08:53

http://groceries.asda.com/product/salad-dressings-croutons/asda-good-counted-chilli-coriander-dressing/910002277866

The whole bottle is under 150kcal! And it's delicious smile I also like the honey and mustard one from the same range.

TyneTeas Mon 23-May-16 21:56:56

I like this salsa salad

tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/salsa-salad.html

and ribbon salad looks pretty

tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/carrot-and-cucumber-ribbon-salad.html

sharond101 Mon 23-May-16 22:45:07

1tbsp soy sauce,
1tbsp balsamic vinegar
1tbsp honey
1tbsp water

whisk and store in fridge, a little goes a long way.

Pineapple juice mixed with soy sauce works too.

DeliveredByKiki Tue 24-May-16 08:19:44

Tahini and lemon juice is my go to low cal dressing

Ludways Tue 24-May-16 10:06:00

Make more of your tomatoes, try salsa instead of sliced. I also like hot and cold together so I'll have quorn mixed with a tin of tomatoes, onions and some chilli flakes poured on top of the salad, hmmm!

Destinysdaughter Tue 24-May-16 10:14:10

Some great ideas here! 🍽

storminabuttercup Tue 24-May-16 10:40:35

Loving these ideas!

whois Tue 24-May-16 17:25:24

This is good - leave out the oil and use runny normal yog not greek yog.
www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/greek-yogurt-caesar-dressing.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now