What to have with butternut squash stew?

(10 Posts)
TheSunHasGotItsHatOn Mon 16-May-16 16:04:23

The stew takes 20ish minutes to cook and is slightly spicy. It has quite a bit of veg in already so what would you have with this? The recipe recommends crusty bread dh and I are on a diet so trying to avoid that sort of carbs.

itshappenedagain Mon 16-May-16 16:09:55

Rice or quinoa? If you make quinoa make it with a stick cube or it tastes awful! I also always add dried crushed chillies to the top of mine.

LisaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 16-May-16 16:13:26

If you're avoiding carbs then I'd have it on a bed of wilted spinach. Or just with steamed broccoli. Or you could make yourself courgetty spaghetti with a spiralizer. If you weren't avoiding carbs I'd have it with couscous - mmmmm! And if you do go for a small portion of carbs it's always better to think brown rice/pasta and sweet potato rather than white carbs.

FauxFox Mon 16-May-16 16:13:27

Cous cous or if you want less carby option steamed broccoli would be nice?

TheSunHasGotItsHatOn Mon 16-May-16 16:19:36

It has spinach in the recipe so thats out, I have brown cous cous in the cupboard but will probably go with steamed broccoli and green beans.

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 16-May-16 16:19:40

Chickpeas?
Doesn't sound very exciting but they are lovely with a lemony dressing

TheSunHasGotItsHatOn Mon 16-May-16 16:21:19

Chickpeas are also in the recipe already.

Blondie1984 Mon 16-May-16 16:47:14

Cauliflower rice - something to soak up the juices

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 16-May-16 17:10:43

Oh, not chickpeas then!
I'd be tempted just to have it as it is in deep wide bowls, maybe a handful of raw rocket on the top for freshness.
I like to use the Chinese style soup spoons when I do this

MermaidofZennor Tue 17-May-16 06:47:56

I love quinoa, and eat loads of it. It makes a great alternative to rice but agree it does need some flavour. I make a beetroot and quinoa pilaf (a Rose Elliot recipe) with red onion, garlic, quinoa, grated raw beetroot and lemon juice. You could try something similar to serve as a side dish? Or replace the beetroot with grated carrot?

We're having a spiced sweet potato stew with black beans this week (a Deliciously Ella recipe) and I'll probably serve that with brown rice (low GI).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now