Tasty, moist chicken for wraps or salad?

(9 Posts)
daisydalrymple Tue 10-May-16 12:35:35

I want to learn to cook chicken breasts without making them overly dry and or tasteless. What's the best way of cooking / flavouring them to use for wraps or a salad?

I never tend to grill them so any tips?? I mostly pop them in foil with some spices or lemon or slice before cooking and stir fry.

ChickyDuck Wed 11-May-16 07:59:18

Poach them! On a gentle heat in stock or water with a few bits of old veg or aromatics (carrot, celery, onion, pepper corns, bay leaves..). You can change the aromatics to suit the flavours of the dish you want it for (coriander and lemon-grass for something Asian for example), and you are left with a delicious stock to use in soups and sauces after!

daisydalrymple Wed 11-May-16 17:52:17

Many thanks for the reply! I will definitely try that.

I'm still looking for a fail safe grilling technique, for wraps / pitta. Love the char grilled texture, but have never managed to get it right at home.

P1nkP0ppy Wed 11-May-16 17:54:10

Definitely try poaching or use a roasting bag, perfectly cooked chicken every time.

memyselfandaye Wed 11-May-16 17:56:48

Poach them, then cover them in olive oil and honey and griddle them for a minute or so each side.

BettyOctopus Wed 11-May-16 17:56:48

Brine them first, they don't taste salty but are moist every time

http://tiphero.com/how-to-cook-perfectly-tender-moist-chicken-breasts/

SealSong Wed 11-May-16 18:09:36

I whack mine flat with a rolling pin, this tenderises the meat and allows for quick, even cooking, then I pan fry the breasts in a small amount of light olive oil, with garlic, salt and pepper added at the end. Leave to cool wrapped in foil. This gives gorgeously tender tasty chicken that can be sliced for wraps and salads etc, or as a chicken burger or fillet for a main meal.
To ring the changes you can add a little smoked paprika or sweet chilli sauce while cooking it.

wheatchief Wed 11-May-16 18:10:00

Bit of a faff but I find bbq gets the best trade off between chargrilled taste and tenderness.

daisydalrymple Wed 11-May-16 18:50:08

Ooh lovely, I'm going to try all of these! Thanks to each and every one of you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now