Perfect hummus recipe?

(18 Posts)
KondoAttitude Sat 07-May-16 14:44:51

Can't buy it where I live, so I just tried making it with a Claudia Roden recipe online. It's OK, but seems quite bland, even though you can taste the lemon very clearly - I've jazzed it up a bit with some sour cream, pepper, more cumin/paprika than the recipe suggests, and even some soya sauce (DH insisted...I'm not really convinced!) and it's turned out acceptable, but not that exciting. I can't work out what's wrong with it. The recipe I used was this one here.

Does anyone have a recipe for really great hummus?

MermaidofZennor Sat 07-May-16 21:37:32

That basic recipe is pretty much what I do. I like lots of garlic, and you could maybe add a chilli?

Teapot13 Sun 08-May-16 23:43:14

Try Ottolenghi's recipe (Google it). It is a bit of a pain, but it makes a big difference to remove the skins from the chick peas.

HuevosRancheros Mon 09-May-16 09:46:30

I use one tin of chickpeas, the juice of half to one lemon (to taste, depends on juiciness!), 2 cloves of garlic, a tablespoon of tahini, a glug of extra virgin olive oil, a little water to make it the desired consistency, plenty of salt. Blend and blend and blend. Best made the day before you want it, if possible, but not a problem if not.

SpoonfulOfJam Mon 09-May-16 09:55:09

Same as huevos but with a bit of natural yogurt if I find it needs loosening.

MaryPopped Mon 09-May-16 11:28:33

so, this is a bit of a secret, and will out me, but instead of removing the chickpea skins, just use channa dal, which is split chickpeas, ie with the skins already removed. So so go and smooth and none of the hassle.

Apart from that, this is the recipe I follow: smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/01/ethereally-smooth-hummus/

PartyShitter Mon 09-May-16 11:32:20

I add butter beans to mine, really helps make it a more creamy texture. Definitely needs garlic and always finish with chopped coriander.

LisaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 09-May-16 11:35:31

I have to say my attempts at making hummus from scratch have always been horrendous. And I've even been to the actual restaurant in Jerusalem to track down the hummus Ottolenghi says is the the best in the world and really didn't like it. It was WAY too smooth and very oily/cloying. I know you can't purchase hummus but if you ever do, a dash of olive oil on top and also a sprinkling of smoked paprika work wonders. My DH is a hummus fiend and he swears by the one from Tesco.

DeliveredByKiki Sat 14-May-16 03:38:48

Same as huevos except minus the oil - we get through it so quickly we don't need it for preserving purposes and it keeps the calorie count way down

Proper sea salt makes a huge difference too

dreame Sat 14-May-16 04:05:09

Same as huevos and also with no oil.

whois Sat 14-May-16 11:30:36

1 tin chickpeas
2 big fat garlic cloves
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tea spoon cumin
1 tsp paprika
2-3 tablespoon tahini
2-3 tablespoon good oil

Blend but keep it a bit chunky. Sprinkle a bit more paprika over the top to serve.

NewToRenting Mon 23-May-16 14:18:48

Curious to know how you get through hummus made with a whole tin of chick peas? We use it as a dip mostly, so would barely go through a couple of table spoons in one day. Doesn't it go off?

whois Mon 23-May-16 14:42:16

Curious to know how you get through hummus made with a whole tin of chick peas?

Can go through it pretty easily! Two greedy adults, lots of carrot sticks and hot pitta!

I would only make it if we wanted a decent amount like if we are having a mezze dinner. I wouldn't make it e.g. if we were just having a few crisps before dinner.

Ok for a few days in the fridge anyway.

misscph1973 Mon 23-May-16 14:47:00

As simple as possible: Chickpeas (soaked over night from dry, discard water and simmer for 20 min., cool), in blender with garlic, virgin olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, tahini and tamari.

DeliveredByKiki Mon 23-May-16 17:38:20

I can eat a whole lot of it in one sitting easy peasy blush

BikeRunSki Mon 23-May-16 17:43:51

Roast the garlic first.

PopGoesTheWeaz Tue 24-May-16 19:22:28

I put it in wraps for the kids' snack or dinner sometimes.

We use it as a dip too but tbh, the carrots take on a spoon like quality so what you have in each mouthful is more hummus than carrot. so good!

I also throw a spoonful into a salad sometimes.

Lg74 Sat 28-May-16 20:54:56

Try using squeezy garlic, tastes much better than raw garlic. I've tried a recipe using peanut butter instead of tahini and yoghurt with chick peas, lemon juice and garlic. Think it was a "healthy" hummus recipe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now