Dinner for six

(5 Posts)
AnonymousBird Wed 04-May-16 14:58:00

My head is full of glue, my nose runneth forth. I cannot think straight but I need to plan a dinner for six at the weekend. It's in celebration of a significant birthday for one of the ladies, so needs to be "proper" dinner so to speak, but equally needs to be largely prepared in advance as I am out for a lot of the day on Saturday.

Budget is not unlimited, so an eye on cost is a factor, but I want it to look like I have made an effort!

Any ideas please for starter, main and pud (I am HOPELESS at puds so dead dead foolproof needed).

TIA. <<gropes for yet more tissues>>

Chelsea26 Wed 04-May-16 15:16:41

I think if you're poorly, out and on a budget then you should go for comfort food
Tomato soup and crusty bread
Cottage pie with cheese crusted leeks on top, green beans and cabbage
Rhubarb mascarpone and lemon curd pots with crumbled ginger snaps on top

Chelsea26 Wed 04-May-16 15:18:36

Mind you it's meant to be really hot this weekend so that might be too heavy

What about
Tricolour salad
Greek lamb steaks on feta and vegetable cous cous
Dessert as above

LobsterQuadrille Wed 04-May-16 16:21:22

I would do:

Smoked salmon - with thinly sliced brown bread, lemon wedges, capers and a blob of cream cheese.
Lasagne with caesar salad
Chocolate mousse

All can be done in advance.

AnonymousBird Wed 04-May-16 18:06:53

Thank you, there are definitely some inspirations here! Hoping head clearer tomorrow so I can actually apply some thought/get the shopping done!!

All my cookbooks are packed, normally a flick through gives me the necessaries. Flicking through the internet doesn't work quite the same so I am grateful for your replies....

Cheers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now