Thursday-squash, pea and feta mini fritattas
Friday- satay vegetables with egg rice
Saturday
Saturday- wholewheat spaghetti and lentil ragu
Sunday- roast dinner with whole roast cauli

paxillin Sun 01-May-16 10:06:35

How do you mealplanners do it? For me:
Monday: planned Spanish ommelette, find someone ate the peppers
Tuesday: planned chicken and spinach, find the spinach went into someone's salad...

Lock the fridge?

CaitAgusMadra Sun 01-May-16 17:45:50

"Luckily" my DH has no interest in cooking food (would quite happily eat breakfast cereal for dinner every night rather than cook) and 2 DC are too young to help themselves so I have no problem with the meal plan

Monday - chicken fajitas with homemade salsa, guacamole & all the trimmings
Tuesday - chicken & chorizo jambalaya
Wednesday - vegetarian lasagne
Thursday - leftovers night
Friday - salmon with green veg & creme fraiche

I'm making an effort to try at least one new recipe per week and also to have one veggie & one fish dinner per week

Cookingongas Sun 01-May-16 19:30:38

Love a meal plan thread.

Monday: roast duck and trimmings
Tuesday: left over duck spring rolls
Wednesday: dhal and flat breads
Thursday: veg red Thai curry and rice
Friday: spaghetti bolognese
Saturday: left over bolognese toastie
Sunday: what's this talk of whole roast cauliflower? Sounds intriguing- could you post a recipe? That'll be me sorted for the week

Muskateersmummy Sun 01-May-16 19:34:04

Monday .... Roast
Tuesday ... Lemon chicken and rice
Wednesday ... Spicy tuna pasta
Thursday .... Slow cooked pulled pork
Friday .... Thai duck curry
Saturday ... Star anise beef
Sunday ... Chicken tray bake

Blueberry234 Sun 01-May-16 19:34:24

Monday- toad in the hole
Tuesday pulled pork, corn and wedges
Wednesday- chicken and bacon salad
Thursday pasta bake of some sort
Friday omelettes and salad

Artandco Sun 01-May-16 19:41:06

I also failed meal planning, what do you all do when plans change?

Monday - I ended up working late, Dh ate with kids at a friends

Tuesday - planned fish and veg. I ate late lunch so wasn't hungry much, Dh didn't feel well.

Wednesday - planned bolagnasie, didn't fancy by dinner time

I never know what I want to eat until that afternoon/ evening

Wolpertinger Sun 01-May-16 19:42:22

DH doesn't cook and makes all the lunches so he knows what he wants for that at the beginning of the week - we have separate ingredients.

Today: Peppers and halloumi in tomato sauce + rice
Monday: ragu made with giblets from prev roast
Tuesday: spinach tart
Wed: grilled salmon with tomatoes
Thurs: kichree
Fri: sweet potato and dhal
Sat: will see what's left in the fridge!

All new recipes to me mainly from Claudia Roden's book of Jewish Food except the ragu - I get bored easily making the same things grin

Muskateersmummy Sun 01-May-16 19:48:27

If plans change (usually because I forgot to take something out the freezer!) I change the order of the days, switch a couple of days around or rustle something up from the cupboards.

bigkidsdidit Sun 01-May-16 19:56:35

I plan for five meals usually for the week, leaving space for two to do beans on toast / chips / something that caught my eye in the shop. I don't plan for each day.

Mine are boring this week!

Ham / Gruyere/ spring onion omelettes with chips and mange tout
Sausages, roast pots, broccoli, corn on the cob
Chicken curry
Chicken , broccoli and pea pasta with Gruyere sauce
Lentil and bean chilli with avocado slices, corn on the cob, tortilla chips.

Lots of meat this week. Might have a veggie- only week next week smile

notagiraffe Sun 01-May-16 20:01:37

Today: enchiladas with black beans, wild rice and chicken in a spicy pepper and tomato sauce with mange tout
Tomorrow - steak and salad
Tuesday - roast chicken with roast potatoes, carrots and broccoli
Wednesday - chicken risotto with leeks, peas and mushrooms
Thursday - veggie pasta bake with Mediterranean roast veg and mozzarella
Friday - Salmon with stir fry veg and noodles
Sat - Homemade veggie pizzas

Mummyoftwo Love the sound of sweet potatoes with feta - must try that.

How do you do your satay vege, please?

We've got:

Today - stuffed peppers, paprika roasted new potatoes, tsatziki
Tomorrow - no idea. We'll either go out for lunch and have sarnies for tea, or pick up something tomorrow
Then, in no particular order
Asparagus, artichoke and pea risotto
Thai vege curry with roasted tofu and rice
Falafel, flatbreads and Greek salad
Pizza with mushrooms and artichokes, or other vege of choice
Quorn pies, oven chips and homemade mushy peas (whichever night I'm most exhausted!)
There's another one too but I've currently forgotten it, so will hopefully remember when I see the Sainsbury's delivery!

notagiraffe Sun 01-May-16 20:05:33

Art&Co - I freeze everything so if plans change there's no waste. I just defrost any meat etc in microwave minutes before cooking it, and make sure all veg has a sell by date of a week or more. So if we just don't fancy what was planned or we go out/eat too late to cook properly, we do something else. But you can just move the meal to another day, so it still cuts down on waste or wondering what to cook when you are knackered and pressed for time. I usually have wholemeal bread, cheese, ham, fruit, eggs and beans in as stand by if DC are home really late from clubs.

notagiraffe Sun 01-May-16 20:09:47

Remus Easy satay veg recipe:
Stir a heaped tablespoon of peanut butter and a can of coconut milk into a pan on a low heat. Add a tablespoon of sweet chilli sauce. you can also add grated ginger and lime if you want. When warm and dissolved, add small cubes of sweet potato and chunky slices of red pepper, cook for 6 mins, then add baby corns and mangetout, cook for 2 more, then stir in fresh baby spinach leaves for 1 min and serve with sticky jasmine rice or basmati.

Mummyoftwo91 Sun 01-May-16 20:38:07

Sweet potato recipe I got from the food bible on Facebook! One of those 30 second recipe videos thingys! For the whole baked cauli I use this recipe which is perfect with a roast dinner http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/mustard-parmesan-whole-roasted-cauliflower.html Jamie also has a great recipe too

Mummyoftwo91 Sun 01-May-16 20:42:08

With regards to sticking to the plan I know some days don't go to plan I just use that recipe for next week instead! I'm a house wife and my husband works a lot so is only home for dinner once a week if I'm lucky so easy to stick to for me as I have the time and the kids get what they are given wink

Thanks, Giraffe - that sounds lovely.

neversleepagain Mon 02-May-16 10:46:00

Sausage, mash & gravy with peas
Tuna pasta bake
Mexican lasagne
Jacket potatoes with leftover over spicy mince
Salmon with pesto, green beans & asparagus baked in foil parcels
Fish, Chios and mushy peas
Ham & cheese omlettes with home made baked beans

bibbitybobbityyhat Mon 02-May-16 10:48:34

marking place for later

AdoraBell Mon 02-May-16 13:25:48

Hmm, so far I have roast pork today, if the thing ever actually defrosts.

Tomorrow - give up because my inherited old electric hob is doing my head in and order a shed load of bung-it-in-the-oven type meals.

All of your plans sound great. I'm off to look for recipes that don't require starting on the hob, don't really want to eat ready meals on a semi permanent basis.

CaptainWarbeck Tue 03-May-16 09:03:53

Definitely going to try the whole roasted cauli, yum. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Remus I always like reading your meal plans.

Each fortnight we do a list of 14 meals picked off our master list of 'things people will eat'. Me and DH pick meals off it like we're picking players for a team, he cooks 3x a week, I cook 4x so he picks 6, I pick 8. Food shop based on that.

That gets printed out and stuck on the fridge. Then whoever's turn it is to cook has a bit of inspiration a la The List and knows the main ingredients will be in the house. This set up has taken us years to perfect!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now