Nice salad ideas please for hearty salads with pulses etc

(18 Posts)
ridingsixwhitehorses Thu 28-Apr-16 22:37:13

So I do a nice one with pearl barley, feta and pine nuts.

And another with spinach, mozzarella and butternut squash.

Any ideas for that kind of salad please?

Theydontknowweknowtheyknow Thu 28-Apr-16 22:47:00

Not pulses but I did sweet potato, pecan and beetroot with a dill dressing today and it was lovely.

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Thu 28-Apr-16 22:48:53

tabbouleh? 'Tis vair naice smile

Theydontknowweknowtheyknow Thu 28-Apr-16 22:50:08

Also, black beans, tomato, avocado, sweetcorn, coriander with doritoes crushed on top is a classic.

And very hearty smile

BrandNewAndImproved Thu 28-Apr-16 22:51:01

Roasted chickpeas are nice in a salad.

Dancingqueen17 Thu 28-Apr-16 22:51:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PirateSmile Thu 28-Apr-16 22:54:59

Fry artichokes (the ones in oil that come in jars) with garlic. Add a can of white beans, warm through and season. Place onto a bed of lettuce and any other salad you like. Add shavings of parmasen.

fieldfare Thu 28-Apr-16 23:07:10

Pirate that sounds delicious. I have a huge jar of preserved artichokes in the larder, will be making that over the weekend.

One of our favourites is spiced cous cous with roasted vegetables and grilled haloumi. Or a simple Greek salad with feta.

I made a fennel and orange salad this week that was really nice with brown basmati rice and salmon.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Thu 28-Apr-16 23:22:01

Brown / wild rice and quinoa, roasted onions, butternut squash and aubergine, top with walnuts, pomegranate seeds and lots of fresh parsley, drizzle over French or tahini dressing. My absolute favorite salad at the moment.

1frenchfoodie Fri 29-Apr-16 10:01:17

Chickpeas with chopped boiled egg, chopped capers, thyme, garlic and vinegarette.

Puy lentils with shoftened chopped onion, celery and carrot, chilli, garlic and goats cheese in mustardy vinegarette. Can add finely chopped bacon, cooked with the veg.

Chewbecca Fri 29-Apr-16 13:41:29

I like this bulgar wheat salad with broad beans, feta and toasted pumpkin seeds

idontlikealdi Fri 29-Apr-16 13:42:43

I love canellini or any white bean with celery, tuna, peppers, chilli, lime juice and mayo if you want calorie overloadsmile

lastqueenofscotland Sat 30-Apr-16 19:13:04

Chickpeas with roasted veg and feta
garlic mushrooms, puy lentils, rocket and goats cheese
White beans with red onion, grated courgette and cherry tomato

trixymalixy Sat 30-Apr-16 19:16:34

My favourite salad is one based on a pret salad that they stopped doing. It is shredded duck, pomegranate, edamame beans, toasted sesame seeds and hoisin dressing. If you are wanting vege salads you could replace the duck with avocado.

nancy75 Sat 30-Apr-16 19:19:23

I have recently discovered figs! Great in a salad with Parmesan, pine nuts and some crispy sprinkled bacon, green leaves and balsamic dressing

AdoraBell Mon 02-May-16 13:34:29

I've also used buckwheat in salads, very filling. I've always tended to just chuck basic salad items together with though, family full of philistines, but it works very well with things like chicken or fish, or beans if you want vegetarian.

Also had a lovely quinoa salad at a friend's, can't remember the exact ingredients but it had mango.

A favourite of mine to buy is one that Cafe Nero do, chick peas, quinoa, falafel -sorry if that's misspelt- and beetroot hummus on a mix of salad leaves, that's very filling.

fruitlovingmonkey Mon 02-May-16 13:46:38

Another buckwheat fan here. At the moment I am making it with broccoli, peas, (frozen) sugarsnaps, black beans, feta, parsley and seeds and a lemon dressing. I call it grains and greens. It's very filling.

The2Ateam Mon 02-May-16 13:52:29

One that's popular in Cyprus.

Cooked Cannelli beans, red onion, cucumber, tomatoes& flat leaf parsley. Olive oil, lemon and salt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now