rescue my tart cases!

(3 Posts)
merlin777 Thu 28-Apr-16 00:46:46

I'm trying to make deep fill tart cases in a bun tin and muffin tin. The problem is that circles of pastry 'wrinkle' or overlap and then they are uneven in thickness and unsightly. What's the secret to getting a circle off pastry to fit well?

Also, last time i tried it, during the blind bake some of them collapsed like they melted - what's going on there?

TheSpottedZebra Thu 28-Apr-16 00:51:02

Use a lump of pastry to gently push the pastry circle into the mould.

And chill the pastry lots - once made before rolling, and again in the case before baking.

Are you using something as 'filling' for the blind bake - eg ceramic baking beans, dried beans, uncooked rice, coins etc?

merlin777 Fri 29-Apr-16 01:40:33

i did use a ball of dough but there was still too much pastry at the top compared to the bottom and i had to pleat it to make it fit. i think a shallow tart tin might be ok but the bun and muffin trays are causing me a problem.

i think not chilling it was my problem. most were ok but where i gathered the trimmings and rerolled to do a few more they were warmer and melted.

I'm pricking the bases with a fork which doesn't seem too bad. does any one have the patience to line and fill 12 tarts for a blind bake! i suppose i could use muffin cases for a quick liner?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now