Help! Gluten and lactose intolerance finger/buffet food ideas please

(15 Posts)
Draylon Sat 23-Apr-16 10:05:26

Have 2 people over tomorrow evening, one of whom is gluten and lactose intolerant, so there'll be 6 of us with my family.

I plan on doing a small buffet, but what could you suggest I make or buy?!

Draylon Sat 23-Apr-16 13:58:52

Anyone?!

Ottosaurus Sat 23-Apr-16 14:01:15

Some meats, humus, crudités, olives and sundries tomatoes plus some schlar breadsticks - go tapas and it should work

Draylon Sat 23-Apr-16 14:25:14

That's certainly a start, thanks

Draylon Sat 23-Apr-16 15:07:26

Anyone else?

Dancingqueen17 Sat 23-Apr-16 15:15:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Draylon Sat 23-Apr-16 15:40:31

Thanks. This is proving far harder than I thought! I deliberately didn't want a full, sit-down meal, just sort of finger foods, but I also didn't want to spend hours putting stuff together to ensure it's lactose and gluten free as I don't have the time or the knowledge. It'll be cold tomorrow evening so though the Greek salad sounds nice, I'd normally put together say mini-burgers (you can't get mini gluten free rolls and ready-made burgers have bread crumbs in them); mini chicken satay sticks (gluten free satay isn't easy to find) and maybe mini quiches (no on both gluten and lactose counts!); there'd be dips (again, gluten and lactose free proving hard!) and a cheese board...

Quite honestly if she was vegan this would be easier!!

Dancingqueen17 Sat 23-Apr-16 16:46:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Draylon Sat 23-Apr-16 17:02:31

Thanks, sounds nice (and easy!). I honestly thought rice had gluten in it!

Terryscombover Sat 23-Apr-16 17:40:54

If you do want to do stuff with butter/milk or cheese in most supermarkets sell lactofree branded stuff. My daughter is both GF and lactose free.

You can also raid M&S as some of their GF breaded stuff is also dairy free.

Gluten free mini sausages coated in grain mustard and honey also go down a treat. For brucetta use Schar brand paninis for the bread base.

M&S GF lemon drizzle cake is bloody fabulous.

Draylon Sat 23-Apr-16 23:49:37

Thanks! Am now working on it!

BlueChampagne Thu 28-Apr-16 22:11:49

Falafels
Stuffed vine leaves
Guacamole
Smoked fish

If you need butter, use Pure, and if you need milk, use Lactofree

sunnydayinmay Thu 28-Apr-16 22:19:14

Go to an M & S food shop. They do a gluten free version of loads of finger food (sausage rolls, scotch eggs, breaded chicken etc), and their burgers and sausages are gluten free.

Or roast a chicken and make a salad.

ifancyagreencard Thu 28-Apr-16 22:20:28

Get thee to M&S!

shouldwestayorshouldwego Thu 28-Apr-16 22:25:08

M&S or Morrison's are good for gf food. Not sure if also lactose free though. Lazy Day chocolate tiffin is gf and lactose free- lovely for finger food snack pudding. It seems to be in most shops. Veg and dips are another option, maybe houmous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now