Help! I need a vegetarian side dish

(16 Posts)
Daffodil90 Mon 18-Apr-16 16:40:46

Hi all

I'm doing dinner for the family and our vegetarian guest this weekend and I've found what looks like an amazing recipe for caramelized shallot and goats cheese tart. I'm salivating at the thought of it!

But what do I serve it with? I want something a little more exciting that just some vegetables....I was thinking a risotto or cous cous but does rice go with tart? And what flavour combos?

My brain is hardwired into meat and an accompaniment that I can't decide what to do here. We're looking to eat vegetarian for maybe half the week going forward to cut down on what we eat, what we spend and health wise anyway so using this opportunity to flex my veggie muscles.

Any ideas would be greatfully received smile

swedishmomma Mon 18-Apr-16 16:43:57

I'd do a massive salad, but no carbs as the pastry is the carb element.

Blondie1984 Mon 18-Apr-16 16:45:14

I think I would do ratatouille and maybe some roasted baby potatoes
Are there any herbs on the tart? Thyme would be lovely on it

Starman16 Mon 18-Apr-16 16:56:27

I'd do big baby spinach/rocket type salad, with some chopped up sundried tomatoes in. Maybe some black olives if you like them.

If you wanted a carb-y side too, small chunks of potato roasted in olive oil with rosemary and plenty of salt are delicious.

Daffodil90 Mon 18-Apr-16 17:13:24

There is thyme in the tart yes, with a little sugar and balsamic on the onions.

Love the idea of roasted potatos and a tomato-y salad......ive never made ratatouille but will look it up now. I'm game for something new.

Thanks everyone!

iseenodust Mon 18-Apr-16 17:16:34

Potato rosti would go well too.

Allalonenow Mon 18-Apr-16 17:17:59

Green beans a la Greque and courgette grated and cooked very briefly with garlic and a squeeze of lemon.

Daffodil90 Mon 18-Apr-16 17:44:04

I just got hungry-er-!

I've never made rosti but potato is DHs favourite food. I'll probably gain brownie points learning that haha

Nibbl3s Tue 19-Apr-16 15:56:53

Mediterranean couscous?
Sweet potato fries?

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 19-Apr-16 15:59:59

hasselback potatoes....they are essentially roasties but a bit smarter, get some nice baby potatoes, do the slicey thing, oil and salt, herbs if req and into the oven with the little buggers.

Voteforpedr0 Tue 19-Apr-16 16:02:07

Simple rocket salad with a drizzle of balsamic, maybe a few toasted pine nuts too

We went to dinner with friends at the weekend and they made a Nigella recipe for mushrooms with lemon juice. It was absolutely gorgeous and would definitely go well with a tart.

No to rice/cous cous but I'd never so no to some lovely bread, even if it is double carbs!

bitofabelly Tue 19-Apr-16 21:40:00

I make these tarts...I blind bake the pastry, then put a thin layer of red onion marmalade at bottom, then add a layer of roasted veg, aubergine, courgette, peppers for colour, then add goats cheese. Back in oven.

My standard salad has: baby spinach, cherry tomatoes halved, red onion or scallion, roasted beetroot which sits in balsamic vinegar after roasting... Crumbled feta or blue cheese, chopped pistachio nuts.

I make my own dressing :

Olive oil or extra virgin oil
Balsamic vinegar
Twist of Cracked Pepper
Tablespoon of Dijon Mustard
Tablespoon of Honey

Adjust above to your taste, but it's delicious, zippy and moreish!!

Getit Tue 19-Apr-16 21:44:33

Ooh a nice cauliflower cheese

midsomermurderess Thu 21-Apr-16 21:33:47

I do a chickpea and kale curry. The kale holds its shape better than spinach and has a good, almost lemony flavour with the curry.It very hearty and tasty and can be served with rice and or nan.

JamieVardysParty Fri 22-Apr-16 16:13:23

I'd do a butternut, spinach and feta salad. Goes nicely also with walnuts and a cranberry vinaigrette.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now