Hiding oily fish for the kids

(11 Posts)
UmmingAndErring Wed 06-Apr-16 13:06:39

Can anyone help me to get the kids to eat oily fish? They used to eat salmon and sardine happily but are now all fussy about it. I'd like to get them to eat it by putting it in nice recipes.

However, all the recipes I can find have such a low percentage of fish in them that it doesn't seem worth it, or look too difficult (I'm a bit of a culinary heathen).

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

whois Wed 06-Apr-16 14:38:50

Fish cakes?

Blondie1984 Wed 06-Apr-16 22:03:02

Could you do a tuna pasta bake type recipe but with tinned salmon?

Thai style fishcakes (higher fish content than standard ones with potato)

Have you tried giving them smoked mackerel pate? For some reason we always used to eat that as kids when we wouldn't actually eat the fish itself

TyneTeas Thu 07-Apr-16 00:44:23

Mine has lived mackerel pate since tiny too

tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/smoked-mackerel.html?

Highlove Thu 07-Apr-16 10:12:42

Fish pie always a winner with my toddler - I tend to go heavy on the salmon rather than white fish.

I made some spicy salmon burgers a while back which we loved - thing is was a BBC good food recipe. Thus has reminded me to do them again!

And smoked mackerel pate a hit for us, too. Mostly because anything that comes with toast is a hit with DD!

whifflesqueak Thu 07-Apr-16 10:16:51

anchovies really bring out the beefiness of a bolognese.

chopped up very fine, they basically melt into the sauce. obviously it's not a massive portion of oily fish but it is very tasty!

Highlove Thu 07-Apr-16 16:22:22

Salmon goujons? Sold to kids as fish fingers?!

IHaveBrilloHair Thu 07-Apr-16 16:25:41

Sardines in a tomato pasta sauce are great, mash them up first.

Steben Thu 07-Apr-16 16:27:14

Salmon and broccoli fish cakes are a hit in this house, salmon, potato, broccoli lemon and seasoning mashed together dipped in egg then panko bread crumbs. Fave family meal

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Thu 07-Apr-16 16:31:47

You could try mashing tinned mackerel with cream cheese? It tastes much milder than neat fish, if that makes sense?

Or make your own fish fingers with salmon - dip in flour then egg then breadcrumbs.

UmmingAndErring Fri 08-Apr-16 11:34:33

Thank you all for the lovely ideas flowers

I read these last night and feel properly inspired. Off to Morrisons I go to stock up for these smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now