please help me find wild garlic

(23 Posts)
Jemappelle Fri 01-Apr-16 08:45:43

I've heard lots of wonderful things about it but have never earn it or found it. Where?? We don't have woods nearby! Please tell where I can find some!!!

Starman16 Fri 01-Apr-16 10:37:10

It tends to grow near water so you need to look in wooded areas near a stream or that are very wet. You'll know if you find a patch by the smell!

Alternatively Riverford sometimes include it in their veg boxes this time of year, or you can buy it as an 'extra' when they have it. You sometimes see it for sale at farmers markets too.

Jemappelle Fri 01-Apr-16 11:26:16

Ocado do them chucked it in the order!! Ta!! Cx

bilbodog Fri 01-Apr-16 11:52:55

Not neccesarily near water, im in bucks and find it growing in woodland near bluebells.

ArtfulPuss Thu 07-Apr-16 20:40:17

We have acres of it! (on our farm in East Devon) If the Ocado order was in any way disappointing, pm me and I'll gladly send you a Jiffy bag full by first class post. (We don't use any chemicals on the land and don't have dogs!) I always feel a bit sorry that we only use a tiny fraction of it. Happy to dig up some bulbs too if you want to try planting at yours. Ours doesn't all grow in shade or near water - there's plenty this year in our goat field where it's in full daylight.
Makes amazing pesto.

ArtfulPuss Thu 07-Apr-16 20:41:32

The flowers are delicious too - quite a fiery kick to them, and good in salads.

Starman16 Thu 07-Apr-16 21:23:38

Ooh artfulpuss I would be interested in some bulbs for the allotment if possible?

(you probably know already but) pesto freezes really well so you could stock up for later in the year - although perhaps not a whole fields worth!

Jemappelle Thu 07-Apr-16 22:06:07

Ohhhhh please can I have both leaves and bulb?? Send me your Paypal to pay you for post?

ArtfulPuss Fri 08-Apr-16 08:39:46

I've just been looking online re. when best to transplant - some sites say never (because 'wild', therefore leave it alone), some say autumn, some say 'in the green' during active growth i.e. now. Ours hasn't started flowering yet. Might as well give it a try, eh?! I'm going into town later and can nip to PO so will pm you both now for details. Curious to know if it'll work!

ivykaty44 Fri 08-Apr-16 08:42:43

I would also love to try making pesto with wild garlic, can you tell me how you make it please?

Thank you

ArtfulPuss Fri 08-Apr-16 08:44:53

Jemappelle pm won't go through, can you try to pm me pls?

Follyfoot Fri 08-Apr-16 08:47:18

We're lucky enough to have lots near us - some is near water, the rest is in woodland. I used to pick a few leaves for years, but last year I took a couple of small bulbs (not sure whether you are allowed, but it was spreading each year so wouldnt impact) and planted them in my herb patch. It has come up this year so do give it a try.

parissont Fri 08-Apr-16 08:47:39

We have acres of it. It's pretty but I've never found any use for it. It's very strong and bitter.

ArtfulPuss Fri 08-Apr-16 08:49:18

ivy I have tried loads of different recipes but my favourite is this one:

110-120g wild garlic leaves
50g toasted skin-on almonds
50g parmesan / gran padano
zest + juice 1 lemon
100ml extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp honey (optional)
lots of sea salt + black pepper

1.) Blend wild garlic + almonds;
2.) Add cheese and lemon;
3.) Pour in olive oil with blender running;
4.) Add honey, salt and pepper to taste

No smooching for a day or two afterwards!

parissont Fri 08-Apr-16 08:49:21

The pesto I made was disgusting. Far too strong. Perhaps just a couple of leaves rather than all wild garlic.

ProfYaffle Fri 08-Apr-16 08:50:13

I've never managed to find any near me sad Found tons up in the Lake District though, all in woody/watery areas, growing around fast flowing streams. I did try transplanting some bulbs into our garden, it made a half arsed attempted at growing for a couple of years then gave up.

ArtfulPuss Fri 08-Apr-16 08:53:22

It's nice shredded in a potato gratin, and in cheese scones.

ArtfulPuss Fri 08-Apr-16 08:56:35

It is strong parissont, I agree with you there! I use less than I would normal pesto on pasta. But it works quite well stirred through other dishes and sauces for a more subtle effect.

EdithWeston Fri 08-Apr-16 08:59:50

I Rigidly Disapprove of taking wild plants from their habitats.

But a I think with wild garlic I'd make an exception as it's such a spreading thug, and you're really not going to weaken its numbers in a place where it's growing happily by taking a couple of plants to start you own colony at home.

I took one plant from a relative's orchard, and it's now spreading with abandon across my garden.

soggyweetabix Fri 08-Apr-16 09:04:53

I have taken a copy of your recipe, puss. I also live in East Devon and have loads of wild garlic in my garden!
I often use it in a risotto with nettle tips.

Jemappelle Fri 08-Apr-16 09:05:29

Will pm now!

Starman16 Fri 08-Apr-16 09:12:58

Edith I agree re taking wild plants but as you say wild garlic is so prolific.

FollyFoot that's good to hear, fingers crossed it survives the trip across the country and likes its new home!

parissont Fri 08-Apr-16 09:21:46

Please come here and take as much as you can!! It's pushed out lots of cow parsley which my horses like to eat smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now