Gammon joint. Can I ask for your tips on how to cook / best recipes please

(17 Posts)
Monroe Fri 25-Mar-16 09:20:09

I asked DH to pick up something for Sunday lunch and he's brought home a gammon joint. I've never cooked one before!

So please can I ask for your favourite easy recipes and tips. Can you cook it in the slow cooker? Do you brine it?

Also what would you serve with it?

There will only be DH, 2 dc's and my DM so it does not have to be any kind of showstopper but I would obviously like them to enjoy it, thanks

bookbook Fri 25-Mar-16 09:33:09

One of our favourites!
I mostly do it the old fashioned way - ( Delia Smith ) put in a big enough pan , cover with water, add an onion, with a few cloves stuck in it a few whole peppercorns and a bayleaf. . You can add cider if you fancy Bring to the boil, then simmer for at least an hour, thats for a joint about 3lb . Then drain and roast for about 20 minutes on high. Lovely cold as well.
Nigella does a good one cooked in coca cola as well .
I tend to serve potato wedges and veg , fruit pickle /cranberry sauce if wanted

clashofclanswidow Fri 25-Mar-16 09:36:50

Oooh slow cooked Gammon is the way to go!

Boil it (in it's plastic inner wrapper, not outer - keeps it all together) for about 45 mins to remove some salts etc then transfer it to a slow cooker (cold is fine) then cook on low for 8 hours ish - so best to get started soon for tea! =) Enough water to cover it and voila - lovely, soft meat.

bakingaddict Fri 25-Mar-16 09:44:45

Don't put in in the slow cooker I did one at Christmas like this for the first time and it was awful the meat was too soft and you couldn't slice it. I'd go with boiling and roasting instead.

tkband3 Fri 25-Mar-16 09:49:24

I chop up a couple of carrots, an onion and some celery, put that in a big pan with the ham, some peppercorns and bay leaves. I add a bottle of cider and a litre of chicken stock and bring it to the boil on the hob, then chuck it in the oven on a low heat (about 150) for a good 3 hours or so (depending on how big it is). Then take it out of the stock, remove the rind and the big layer of fat and coat in a mix of honey, mustard and mixed spice (roughly 3 tsps/1 tsp/0.5 tsp). Put it back in the oven for about 15-20 minutes. It should be lovely and tender. Oh, and blend the cooking liquid and veg to make a kind of gravy - boil it up to reduce it down if it's too runny, but check it's not too salty.

I serve it either with full on roast accompaniments (potatoes, cauli cheese and veg etc) or with salad, wedges or jackets, coleslaw and chutneys.

Jade1212 Fri 25-Mar-16 10:02:45

Boil it in full-fat cola for an hour or two (depends on size!) then score, add some rub if you like (brown sugar & cinnamon is nice), stick some cloves in it, then roast! The boiling takes a lot of the salt out and the cola adds a tiny bit of sweetness (nowhere near as much as you'd think) which is lovely

SnuffleGruntSnorter Fri 25-Mar-16 10:09:55

I was going to suggest Coca-Cola too. We take the fat off and Bing it in the slow cooker with s bottle of Coke (have used diet and it's also good). The fat we treat as Jade describes and crisp it under the grill at the end.

SpunBodgeSquarepants Fri 25-Mar-16 10:12:56

If you're going to go with the Coca Cola recipe, try it with Cherry Coke instead. Absolutely gorgeous. My mum also did it with Dr Pepper once and that worked very well - not as sweet as Coke.

KatoPotato Fri 25-Mar-16 10:20:40

The famous mn ham! 500g brown sugar, half in bottom of slow cooker, the rest tipped on top!

Cook all day then thicken the syrup with cornflour and Worcester sauce.

Howaboutthisone Fri 25-Mar-16 11:23:26

Boil it with celery, onion, carrot bay leaves, peppercorns and cloves. Remove and cover in 50/50 mix English mustard and honey (hold some of this sauce back for basting) and roast. Delicious. Especially when served with Nigella's spiced peaches. We give the kids unspiced peaches though. I loved this ham even before I ended my hatred of mustard and ended up obsessed!

cdtaylornats Fri 25-Mar-16 15:30:22

I've had it with Orange Fanta instead of coke - very good.

My favourite is a maple syrup glaze.

Lighteningirll Fri 25-Mar-16 15:36:44

I do coca cola ham at least once a month just cover the joint with cola any cheap cola simmer gentle for two to three hours topping up the cola if you need to.

EdmundSlackbladder Fri 25-Mar-16 15:41:39

I like ginger beer instead of cola, and then a bourbon/maple syrup glaze.

redjellybean Fri 25-Mar-16 15:45:12

Yes to ginger ale. Google Nigela's ginger gammon. Delicious and easy.

WhoKnowsWhereTheChocolateGoes Fri 25-Mar-16 15:49:11

I'd avoid all the cola type recipes personally, tried it once and it made it too sweet. Soak overnight, simmer in the slowcooker with water, bayleaf, peppercorns till cooked through, then glaze with redcurrant jelly and half an hour in the oven to caramelise the glaze.

Monroe Fri 25-Mar-16 17:39:52

Some great ideas. Thank you very much. Now I just need to choose which one to go with!

BikeGeek Sat 26-Mar-16 15:36:42

I always stick with this hairy bikers recipe

Honey and marmalade-glazed gammon joint

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now