does anyone have a George Foreman Grill..?

(25 Posts)
bakermum15 Fri 18-Mar-16 13:59:00

And if so what do you use it for and "is it all that?"
I'm aware I've missed the boat from when this was THE appliance to have but just pondering whether my life could be enhanced by one grin
TIA

Highlove Fri 18-Mar-16 14:16:05

Someone bought me one as a gift once. I didn't really see the point and hardly ever used it.

Nanasueathome Fri 18-Mar-16 14:18:46

I had one
Until the day my daughter told me I didn't have one anymore as she had dropped it on the kitchen floor and it had smashed to bits
Never really used it after first couple of weeks anyway
Too fiddly to clean properly

Bigfam Fri 18-Mar-16 14:21:58

I bought one a couple of weeks ago, we love it. We use it for everything from pork chops to kebabs. Ds1 wouldn't eat ANY type of potato until we used it for French fries grin

bakermum15 Fri 18-Mar-16 14:30:21

Bigfam French fries? Really? pulls up a chair Tell me more

AGrinWithoutACat Fri 18-Mar-16 14:35:27

I use ours for cheese toasties - never been happy with how it cooks meat as we like ours to crisp up so will always use the normal grill

TennesseeDays Fri 18-Mar-16 14:40:21

We mainly use ours for toasted sandwiches. It makes a good toastie or panini.

I don't really use it for that much else. I sometimes grill sausages and meat in it, but to be honest I generally just put them under the normal grill or cook in the oven.

It is handy if there is just one of you rather than turning on the main oven, but ours is quite small so not really large enough for, say, a steak or burger for everyone. And if you get a big one it must take up loads of space.

Still, it is handy to have (especially for the toasties).

Sirona Fri 18-Mar-16 14:43:04

I have one.

It has been residing at the back of a cupboard for the last two years. Actually forgot I had it until a few weeks ago someone started a 'things you never use' thread and it was mentioned.

gamerchick Fri 18-Mar-16 14:45:43

I just use mine as a grill and for toasties. It's amazing how much fat comes out of stuff.

roundtable Fri 18-Mar-16 14:49:29

Ours lives in our caravan where we do actually use it on holiday to keep down gas usage.

I use to use it for loads of stuff. Mine has a flat surface too so you could even make things like pancakes or eggs. But gradually I stopped as I got a range cooker and was in love with that and it was a bit neglected.

Godsend in the caravan though.

haggisaggis Fri 18-Mar-16 14:59:20

We used ours a lot in the last house as had more work surface so it could sit out. It is the larger one with the part with the ridges which is lidded and an open flat bit. Used to use it all the time for chicken, steak, grilled veg etc but apart from the odd toastie haven't used it for 5 years now! This house I have the gas barbecue just outside the kitchen door which I use instead.

bakermum15 Fri 18-Mar-16 16:52:32

Great replies everyone. Thank you smile

HalfStar Fri 18-Mar-16 16:53:34

Toasted wraps. Yum

oliviaclottedcream Fri 18-Mar-16 17:42:44

I had one when they first came out about 10 years ago.. I found it a right bugger to clean. Ex used to do sausages in it all the time..

Owllady Fri 18-Mar-16 17:44:09

We mainly use ours for toasted sandwiches too

2016namechangecomingalong Fri 18-Mar-16 17:47:32

I think many many people have one, the question to ask is who has one and uses it!

I have one and hardly use it. It is in the cupboard known as the 'George foreman cupboard' which is full of all the appliances that look like a great idea but actually get used once a year.

Cookingongas Sat 19-Mar-16 07:54:45

I have one. Not frequently used I'm afraid. But I'd never get rid because it comes into its own the day after a big night when you don't have enough hob space to make a full English for all - bacon comes up crispy and then halved tomatoes follow the bacon done in a minute. Leaves job for sausages eggs beans fried potatoes and fried bread.

FireflyGirl Sat 19-Mar-16 22:08:14

We use ours for everything! It gets used most days; had it 5 years and it's still going strong!

We do: chicken breasts (which get crispy on the outside when we use a marinade), bacon, veggies, toast (just DH, I use the toaster), crumpets, bagels... I have a range cooker but like to use the GF when cooking because I find it easier, and it's great to take with us when we go to a caravan/cottage for a holiday.

I love my GF (but even in RL I seem to be in the minority wink)

Thunderbolt Sat 19-Mar-16 22:19:31

I love mine, I use it all the time! I cooked turkey burgers and mushrooms on it tonight. Tomorrow I'm cooking seekh kebabs, chicken tikka and naan bread on it.

rightguard Sat 19-Mar-16 22:27:28

I use mine all the time. Sausages, bacon, toasties, burgers, pork chops, chicken breasts. I love it, it's easy to clean, just wipe with a damp cloth, we use it all the time.

starry0ne Sat 19-Mar-16 22:31:21

I use mine mostly for toasted sandwiches...Use it as a frill for sausage and bacon...

To clean...When finished cooking soak kitchen roll then shut it in the middle makes cleaning much easier.

DaisyAdair Sat 19-Mar-16 22:35:23

I make toasties with mine, it's great because I can get large, thick slices of bread with loads of filling on it.

I'm surprised at those of you saying it's difficult to clean, mine is very easy, just top and bottom plates.

LadyB49 Sat 19-Mar-16 22:46:23

I've had various models over the last 15 or so years. Wouldn't be without one. Can fry eggs etc also,

A month ago got a new 5 portion model which will never do for 5. But grand for 2 of us with occasional dgc. £40 is Asda. Best ever it has removable plates which are excellent. Come out with a simple click and wash very easily.
Only thing is it isn't just as hot as the older models but is still great and worth having.
I put newspaper underneath it when using it as so much fat can sometimes come off food.

MustBeThin Sat 19-Mar-16 22:54:45

I have one of those Tefal Optigrills basically the same sort of thing but it cooks things to your liking without having to time or pay much attention to it. It beeps and has a colour changing face to let you know how things are cooked. So to cook steak for example, put the machine on to the steak setting and it will beep when it's warmed to the right temperature, put the steak in then it will beep when it's started cooking then as it cooks it will beep and the face will turn yellow for rare, beep and turn orange when it's medium and then beep and turn red when it's well done. grin I love it had it maybe 2 years now and use it all the time. It has about 5 different settings for meat/fish and a manual setting for toasties. You can also grill from frozen but I've never tried that setting. Has removable drip tray and plates too.

Lynnm63 Thu 24-Mar-16 11:52:34

I had one for years dh bought it and hadn't really used it. Saw an article about it, thought ooh I've got one of those somewhere and found it out. I use it several times a week now for garlic and coriander chicken, burgers, I made turkey burgers and they were moist inside and griddled on the outside, paninis, toasted sandwiches as I find it quicker than heating the griddle or oven. DH is pleased I've finally started using his gift luckily he's not quizzed me on why I've started using it now too embarrassing to admit why

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now