Instant Porridge Recipe for Toddlers

(46 Posts)
LollieB Wed 16-Mar-16 21:34:57

My LO loves porridge in the morning, but it takes so long to cook the slow version. All of the instant porridge a on the market seem to be loaded with sugar, but I can't seem to find any recipes for homemade instant porridge online. There are a lot of recipes for overnight oats, but this is served cold. I am guessing that if I mill normal oats in the blender and add dehydrated milk, this is probably a start. Does anyone know a good recipe?

dementedpixie Wed 16-Mar-16 21:37:43

Do you have a microwave? It is quick to cook in there

StylishDuck Wed 16-Mar-16 21:38:51

I just cook normal porridge oats with milk in the microwave. About 30 secs, give it a stir, add a bit more milk if needed and another 30 seconds. When DD was younger I used to whizz up the oats in the blender first to make it finer.

Alternatively you can freeze cooked porridge, so just make a big batch and freeze in portions. Defrost in the fridge overnight and heat up in the microwave.

PersisFord Wed 16-Mar-16 21:40:25

We eat tonnes of porridge. I make it in the microwave, then when it is cooked put it into a cold bowl with more milk and more oats and mix it up. This cools it quickly and the texture is more interesting.

Doje Wed 16-Mar-16 21:41:14

Yep, I use the microwave. 1 part oats, 1 part water, 1 part milk. 2 mins, stir, another 1 minute (max). It comes out reaaaaallly really hot though!

Alternatively, make it the night before and nuke it in the morning.

bloodymaria Wed 16-Mar-16 21:41:27

What's the slow version op? I normally do mine on the hob and it takes five minutes absolute max. Microwave does the job just about as well though in about a minute.

HermioneWeasley Wed 16-Mar-16 21:43:36

Another one who's baffled - oats, milk, microwave. Job done.

Zogthebiggestdragon Wed 16-Mar-16 21:45:21

Microwave here too. One part oats, two parts milk, wee dodd of maple syrup (in the toddlers), spoon of golden syrup (in mine), frozen raspberries, 2 minutes on high (but my microwave is old and crap).

SmellySourdough Wed 16-Mar-16 21:50:44

second third fourth microwave.
I do 1part oats 1part milk. 1 min full power. then stir in more milk to desired consistency (cools it down nicely as well).

purpleporpoise Wed 16-Mar-16 21:53:37

I do one part milk, one part water, one part oats and cook for 3 mins, then stir in frozen blueberries and leave it to stand for a minute. They cool it down to eating temperature.

LollieB Wed 16-Mar-16 21:54:33

Sorry, should have mentioned that is don't have a microwave.....DH has an aversion to them. Problem with doing it on the job is also the time it takes to clear up the mess, as it sticks like glue and doesn't even seem to come off in the dishwasher. So, I'm looking for an instant recipe where I can just add hot water from the kettle.

FreeButtonBee Wed 16-Mar-16 21:55:33

Takes 5 mins on the hob. 1 part oats 2 parts milk medium heat. Stir occasionally and thin out with some more milk of too thick. Add stewed fruit to cool down (or put bowl in freezer when you start cooking and put porridge in Cold bowl)

gunting Wed 16-Mar-16 21:56:25

I do it in the slow cooker overnight or make porridge 'muffins' that can be frozen and defrosted.

FreeButtonBee Wed 16-Mar-16 21:56:28

Buy a non stick milk pan. I have a stellar one and it's worth every penny. Nothing sticks to it.

LollieB Wed 16-Mar-16 21:56:44

Freezing the porridge in batches, as suggested, also sounds like a good idea.

Wigeon Wed 16-Mar-16 21:57:21

Can't you just use ready brek type stuff? We have Sainsburys own brand instant oats - you just add hot milk into the bowl and stir, easy. No added sugar at all.

Wigeon Wed 16-Mar-16 21:59:33

Also, porridge with proper oats and milk/water takes me about 5 mins on the hob, if you are really worried about it all sticking either get a non stick pan, or just pop it in the sink soaking with some water in the pan and it'll come off no problem.

LollieB Wed 16-Mar-16 22:08:16

Porridge muffins sound great and will definitely check out the stellar pan thanks.

regenerationfez Wed 16-Mar-16 22:14:56

I do know what you mean. I moved my DS from Ready Brek to porridge oats as he was eating 2 massive bowls of ready Brek a day and porridge fills him up in one bowl. It doesn't take too long to cook but comes out nuclear and takes ages to cool! What are porridge muffins? Do you freeze muffins in muffin tray, or is it a baked good??

katienana Wed 16-Mar-16 22:19:00

Always put the pan in cold water after use hot water makes it set. I do it on the hob use a ladle to measure. 1 scoop oats, 1 milk 2 water. On a low heat takes 10 mins but can be left to its own devices.

gunting Wed 16-Mar-16 22:25:24

Here's a porridge muffin recipe http://www.mumsnet.com/food/recipe/1240-Banana-oat-muffins

LollieB Thu 17-Mar-16 00:21:18

Thanks gunting

Blondie1984 Thu 17-Mar-16 00:43:22

You can do porridge in the oven - I mix everything together the night before then come down in the morning, put it in the oven and go and get dressed, do hair etc - by the time I come back it's done

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 17-Mar-16 13:54:16

DH has an aversion to them
Let him stir the porridge for 5 mins then. grin

LollieB Thu 17-Mar-16 14:18:24

All great suggestions, but it would also be great to have an instant recipe for when we go camping etc. The muffins are an option, but an instant recipe which is served hot is really what I'm looking for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now