What to do with stale bread

(16 Posts)
Catphrase Fri 26-Feb-16 10:53:42

Have you any ideas, it's home made so seems a shame to chuck it. But it's incredibly stale, so stale it could be used as a weapon!!
Would bread and butter work?
Thank you

GrouchyKiwi Fri 26-Feb-16 10:58:35

Bread & butter pudding? Use it as stuffing in a delicious roast bird? Slice it, dry it out completely, turn it into breadcrumbs? Queen of puddings uses breadcrumbs, I think.

rhodes15 Fri 26-Feb-16 11:08:23

I turn mine into breadcrumbs and bung them in a tub in the freezer then I always have them ready to go for pasta bakes and breaded chicken and what not.

IHaveBrilloHair Fri 26-Feb-16 17:26:37

Panzanella is great

originalmavis Fri 26-Feb-16 17:27:50

I make breadcrumbs too. The can stay in an airtight jar in the fridge for a couple of days and freeze well too.

Dancingqueen17 Fri 26-Feb-16 17:30:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SanityClause Fri 26-Feb-16 17:38:12

Yes, breadcrumbs here, too, and freeze them.

DH used to put chunks of bread in the freezer, to make into breadcrumbs, as needed, but I had a big clear out, and turned them all into breadcrumbs, to store that way, otherwise you have to defrost a big chunk, then if it's too much, refreeze it.

Catphrase Fri 26-Feb-16 17:47:23

Brilliant ideas, thank you!!!
I think I'll do a treacle tart and freeze the left over as breadcrumbs. Or make a bread and butter pud.
Thank you grin

Pooseyfrumpture Fri 26-Feb-16 17:49:28

Freeze them and use for bread sauce, and pasta bake topping. Like this: www.buzzfeed.com/alvinzhou/skillet-mac-and-cheese

GiveMyHeadPeaceffs Fri 26-Feb-16 21:29:40

Cut it into cubes and bake in the oven to make croutons, then keep in an airtight box...always handy for soups and salads!

DoreenLethal Fri 26-Feb-16 21:30:42

I whizz into breadcrumbs to make stuffing balls next roasty dinner day.

TheOptimisticPessimist Fri 26-Feb-16 21:37:25

Breadcrumbs, croutons, or make a massive fondue and use for dipping. Stale bread is awesome!

JamNan Sun 28-Feb-16 09:30:44

ribollita soup

Or whizz into bread crumbs and freeze.

NotCitrus Sun 28-Feb-16 09:51:03

Bread pudding most weeks here (ds packed lunch leftovers plus some other bits) - lots of cinnamon and raisins and properly squashed down to make rock-solid pud - like old British Rail used to sell. Only edible thing in their cafes...

Catphrase Mon 29-Feb-16 13:41:53

Just whizzed the bread up into breadcrumbs. There was actual smoke coming from my processor it was that tough!!!!!

Sgtmajormummy Mon 29-Feb-16 13:56:57

Breadcrumbs with egg can also help bind meatballs, burgers, meatloaf...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now