Topping casserole off with bread dough?

(4 Posts)
Slippydippylippy Sat 20-Feb-16 15:13:23

I was looking at a recipe for tamale which called for cornbread batter to be poured on top of the casserole and the end product looked delicious. It got me thinking about whether this would work with bread dough. I have bought one of those handy bread mixes and I'm going to give it a go, the only problem I can foresee is that the dough may be too thick to spread over the casserole dish. Has anyone else tried something similar? The whole thing sounds like my idea of food heaven! grin

GreenSand Sat 20-Feb-16 15:24:12

I've seen cheese scones ontop of caserole to make a savoury cobbler.
Sounds a bit like dumplings or cobblers. Why not form the bread into buns, let them prove, then pop in the casserole for the last 20 mins of cooking (on a high heat!)

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 20-Feb-16 15:27:12

i think greensand has it....just do the bread mix, and set it on top to cook like dumplings.

or have a look for Teviotdale pie, that has a runny suet pastry type batter on top of a mince base and it is also very lovely ribsticking winter food.

Slippydippylippy Sat 20-Feb-16 15:45:52

Ah yes that's a brilliant idea greensand thanks smile Ooh I've just googled Teviotdale pie, it looks absolutely amazing shock grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now